Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches? >

Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

they are what tells me if deer are around whenever i have been quiet as a mouse
Old 12-29-2006, 09:50 PM

New question begs asking:

Seeing the overwhelming consensus, should I bring my pump pellet handgun to silence the snitches (the ones legal anyway) and risk gettin busted by approaching deer or just take my chances by leaving the squirrels be?

See, I figure if I can cap a red with the relatively quiet pellet gun, it might save a deer from being alerted by the barking. But... since deer are so keen for seeing movement, I might get busted trying not to get busted. LOL. What would you do?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is gonna sound funny or weird.. but her's my trick.

1. don't make eye contact with the squirrel.
2. never move when the squirrels are close to you or looking at you, and if you do, move slowly in a non threatening way.
3. once they catch you and start to bark.. grab your bow in a non threatening way and prepare to kill the squirrel. I know it sounds dumb.. but I've had more squirrels shut up at this point and never had to take a shot once. don't know why..[&:]
4. once the chipmunks get started just ignore them and sit still. After several minutes they loose interest and leave you alone.

It always seems to me that the little rodents mistake you for hawks or owls. After a period of time they will almost become comfortable with you being there. They will just continue on their way staying about 30 yards or more away and ignore you once they realize you have no interest in them.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

The squirrels around here tend to be. Haven't had much contact with crows while in the woods.

If there is one bird that is a snitch and a loud one at that, its those damn Blue Jays. [:@] Those things go nuts when they see something they don't like.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel like they are sometimes, but they do make noises, I have beenglad they are theresome days.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The squrriels certainly can be annoying, i had a couiple get me all excited think it was a big buck but it was a stupid ole gray squrriel crunching a ton of leaves
Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I have started,just recently,making a blowing sound like deer when I here them doing it.Sometimes,they have no idea what they are blowing at.More often than not,they just go on about their buisness,I am assuming they thought they were blowing at another deer.

I don't know if I am crazy(ok,maybe I am crazy) but I truely believe this is true.[:-]
I've done that a few times with does also. I hunt on the ground so I will stump at them too for the fun of it. Some will settle down and walk away.Some will come closer but generally they stop blowing and stomping at least. Not sure howthe stompingwould work in a tree stand. Probably not a good idea.

When the pheasant roostersstart flying or crowing... be ready... deer are moving near by in CRP or grass area here. Tyler likes his cat naps while waiting for the last hour of shooting time. When the first rooster crows or flies, he snaps back to life. I always get a chuckle out of that. His little alarm clock.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

ABSOLUTELY..!

Chipmunks and squirrels alert the entire forest floor when danger is present. Anytime a hawk or another predator are near the chipmunks chirp violently from the ground and the squirrels get high into the trees, hold tight to the trunk, and bark. Anyone who disagrees with this one has not spent enough time in the woods.

As far as turkeys.. they don't give off an alarm.. but whitetail feel more comfortable when they are present. And when they run off in a hurry they know something is off.

I don't think crows do.. but I could be wrong. I just have never observed it while in stand. Crows are very sociable and 'speak' to each other often when in the woods. They gather in groups called murders and search out food sources such as carcasses etc. While I don't believe they warn other animals of danger, they are associated with dead animals who do have predators usually nearby. i.e. the coyote.
Turkeys certainly do give off alarms, you can hear it every time you get busted by a Tom... They make this "putt, putt, putt" sound as they're walking away. I haven'tany personal experience withthis, but I also heard that when locating turkeys using a crow call, never to blow it 3 times "caw, caw, caw" because that's the crow's alarm call.

I always listen to the woods, a blue jay screeching or squirrel barking could mean a deer is approaching, it does work two ways. Crows making a racket could mean there's a Tom strutting nearby. Its pretty cool when you hear something making a racket and associate that noise with something else going on as opposed to just you getting busted by the varmint.

One wierd day I had a red squirrel bark his head off at me, then watched as he retreated through the V of a double trunked tree just as a hawk was swooping down on him. The squirrel made it, and the hawk perched about 10 yards from me at eye level. While I'm watching this hawk watch this squirrel, a flock of blue jays came along screeching their heads off and chased the hawk away. So what, that I didn't see any deer that day...
Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got busted by turkeys this year alot.I could see the one that spied me from 50 yds at most times.He had that(wasnt there yesterday look) on his face.and started talking nervous.The rest just stayed low and made a circle arround me.
the deer sure do use the turkies for scouts.Turkies roll in ,2 minutes deer roll in.The buck was actually playing with one of them.Wasnt realy trying ti hurt it,Just pawed slowly and lowered his head and slowly charged.It was realy funny.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:20 AM

I have killed a lot of deer thanks to Blue Jays and those little tree rats!!...Bob

Quick Reply: Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.