Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Judo(sp?) points >

Judo(sp?) points

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Judo(sp?) points

Old 12-28-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Judo(sp?) points

What is the largest animal you should use judo points on? The largest animal i was thinking about using them with was groundhogs. My father-in-law has a small business that is just barely in the city limits and last summer i used my .22 to take a couple out( all shots were safe, i was shooting into a huge hill behind the business). I don't want to use it again because of the fact that it is in the city limits, so i was hoping to use judo points. Also how accurate are they? what is there effective range? i'm thinking about trying squirrel hunting with my bow to make it a little more challenging.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Judo(sp?) points

Don't use judo points on groundhogs. You'll only get an inch or two penetration, and the ground grizzly will take your arrow down his hole. I know by experience. Groundhogs are tough critters. I used old bear single blade heads, that you can resharpen and straighten out with a hammer if you hit a rock and bend the tip. I never hunted squirrel with em but I imagine they would shock them enough to put em down. By the way, I put the judo "roll on" behind the broadhead. I can't remember their name, but they worked good to stop your arrow so you can find it in case you mmmmiss.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Big John

Don't use judo points on groundhogs. You'll only get an inch or two penetration, and the ground grizzly will take your arrow down his hole. I know by experience. Groundhogs are tough critters. I used old bear single blade heads, that you can resharpen and straighten out with a hammer if you hit a rock and bend the tip. I never hunted squirrel with em but I imagine they would shock them enough to put em down. By the way, I put the judo "roll on" behind the broadhead. I can't remember their name, but they worked good to stop your arrow so you can find it in case you mmmmiss.
Hey Big John, great to see ya..lol and thanks for the phone call but back on topic...they are called a Muzzy Grasshopper.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob- thanks for the help.... it's hell to get old and forgetful. I'm waiting for 5-shot to get on here and give me hell about my choise for broadheads for ground grizzly, lol.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Big John, your saying a judo point will penetrate, i thought judo points more so killed from the impact of hitting the animal?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting ground hogs with a bow is fun........lol. I have shot them before with my spots rig out to 70+ yards but a huge expandable seems to work best.