Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are we really hunting anymore? >

Are we really hunting anymore?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are we really hunting anymore?

Old 12-22-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Are we really hunting anymore?

A couple of recent threads have started me thinking about the apparent changes inhunting philosophies over the last 60 years of my hunting experiences. A recent thread which virtually warned a newbie to stay out of bedding areas or the deer would leave, never to return, (my own literary license). Another which advises, in context, find a trail set up a tree stand and wait for them to come. Everyone seems to be in the trees in ambush mode these days, the extreme being rattling dem horns and shooting over feeders.

Some background, I'm 71 years young. I started with a 25# longbow on Christmas day of 1946 at the age of 11. I learned to hunt by tracking and stalking rabbits in the snow to an optimumdistance of 3 to 6 paces, (11 year old's) and shot only if I got that close without jumping them. They were needed to supplement the family larder so it was more than just a game to me. I killed a lot of rabbits in the next few years but what was most valuable to me wasthat I was devloping the skill to read sign, stalk, shoot, in other words, hunt.Those early years are what allowed me to track and stalk 5 whitetail bucksto their beds, three of which I took, one I nicked a branch that I had overlooked causing a clean miss and the other Iwatched for an hour because it was too thick to get an arrow through, all the while hoping he would get up and come out in my direction. He didn't...All 5 bucks were within 15paces and 1 was 8 1/2 paces. (adults) There were also many others that were taken while in their normal routine of nibbling and walking around at midday.

The point of the above is,those bucks were killed in their bedding areas. I regularly still hunted in those bedding areas. What was uncommon was that itwould take me2 to 2 1/2 hours to work through a 60 to 70 acre woodlot, depending on conditions, while others would take 15 to 20 minutes.

There's no question that it's easier and less complicated to throw a stand up in a tree and sit in wait but there is nothing to compare with going one on one on the ground. Those 5 deer gave me the greatest hunting thrills of my life. I recommend it to all of you.

By the way, I have killed deer out of trees, with and without stands so I'm not a fanatic but I'd trade 10 shots out of the trees for one that I've stalked.

Last point, I raised three bowhunters now in their 40's and I've got a new one, (bowhunter son)just turned 16. Although I much prefer longbows and recurves, we're both shooting Legacies with releases. The arthritis, hands and shoulders is a killer. Oh well, it's a lot better than the alternatives.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are we really hunting anymore?

Well said to some degree but I think your blanketing everyone by the statements of a few. Sorta profiling, if you will.

And welcome to the forums. I look forward to learning something from your 71 years young. Enjoy and please share.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:12 PM

Thank you, Sir for your input. I agree, times have changed BUNCHES! New school, so to say. I was in the fire service for 10 years and much the same applies there as well. The "older" guys had their way and the "younger" guys had their way. I always used to say if we could get the 2 to mingle, and collectively put together those 2 styles, man alive, how good could we be!!???

I see younger guys coming up and just not pay any attention to the "old salts" at all. "What do they know?" they ask. I challenge them to sit with one and find out. What a wealth of information is to be had!!

You are right. Hunting is more for sport now than necessity.....Now, don't ya'll jump on me here, I know folks rely on the meat, no question. BUT, if need be, you could go to the store and buy some. Not in those days you couldn't, which is my only point. The equipment was much different, and in short, woodsmanship was MUCH more needed then than now....Not that it's not needed now though....I don't mean that either.

I've always been told to stay out of bedding areas as well. Hunt the "fringes." I've given serious thought to hunting one now that the season is running late, and almost over. You've just inspired me to do just that.

Welcome to HNI, and I certainly hope to hear more from you.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

It generally takes a LOT of skillto have perfected a bowhunting method from the ground and because of this reason, many of the deerhunters today, for one reason or another, prefer treestands. Of course some can do both, and may still prefer treestands for any number of reasons.

Definately the hunting business is geared towards "stand=hunting", as there is not much to sale somebody that really knows what they are doing
Old 12-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Well I am that younger generation. I come from a long line of Non-hunters
wheather it was banned or considered wrong no one hunted. So i'm the first to tread into huntings new water. I am glad to hear you have passed your knowledge onto your kids. If us "rookies" sound ignorant and new school, Its because we are, but most of us are willing and eagerto learn
[hr]
You teach Ill learn
Old 12-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

most of us are willing and eager to learn
That is what we are here for, after all. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to reading more of your excellent posts.

Merry Christmas and God Bless
Old 12-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: laxdad

By the way, I have killed deer out of trees, with and without stands so I'm not a fanatic but I'd trade 10 shots out of the trees for one that I've stalked.
I've never taken a deer that didn't mean something to me. Doesn't matter to me how they were took. I wouldn't trade any of them.

Glad your here and look forward to reading more about a guy that's been hunting for so many seasons. Like to here more about how to stalk.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt there beds always have and always will but a tip is go on a trail in the bedding area and set up a blind now that is fun to me and we all have ur own definitions and that is just me now nice to meet you sir and have a nice holiday weekend
Old 12-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting for sport and hunting to eat are two very different circumstances. One must be way more aggresive when a familys belly is growling. I hunt somewhat to relax now as compared to when mom said go get a rabbit. I to look forward to more of your post.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:05 PM

you are absolutely right!
I am 23 years old and I have tried the sit and wait, It is ok if you found and researched the area. (meaning with a trail camera and finding out when and where the deer are). It is ok but I have gotten more deer walking and stalking deer than waiting for them to come to me. I have tried lures, calling, scents, trail cameras, and rattling. I am better at stalking. It is also easier and more exciting to stalk than to sit.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE CAREFULL WHEN DOING IT!!!!!

Quick Reply: Are we really hunting anymore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.