Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 POST YOUR BEAR PICS HERE >

POST YOUR BEAR PICS HERE

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

POST YOUR BEAR PICS HERE

Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 AM

Default RE: POST YOUR BEAR PICS HERE

It was on an un-guided combination black/brown bear hunt out of Cordova in May 2002. Black bear hunting had been slow due to a late spring. My friend Rex had taken a nice 6’ black bear on the evening of the third day with his .300 Win Mag. A-bolt. However, we were seeing less black bear and more brown bear than we usually saw in this area at this time of year. Rex and Russ were off hunting from the skiff so I was solo hunting black bear on the second to last day of our hunt. When I spotted the bruin, he was moving down the beach toward me with the wind at his back. I stepped up into the cover at the edge of the trees and waited as he walked by at 17yds. He stopped to look when he saw me draw back, covering the vitals with his shoulder blade. He obviously couldn’t make me out in my camoflage, or smell me. When he turned and had gone past me I took the shot. The arrow passed clean through entering between the third and forth rib and coming out through the left tricep. He roared and bit at the arrow as it came out. Then he ambled back up the beach the way he had come. I sat and waited for about half an hour and went to round up the guys and bring the rifles back to look for him. The arrow had caught both lungs and cut three chambers of the heart. He went about 80yds and dropped. We skinned him at the edge of the water and dropped him in the skiff for the ride back to camp. I was fortunate enough to harvest a nice 8' boar with a beautiful coat. The skull green scored 24" and netted 23 and change placing it well into P&Y. The bow is a Hoyt UltraTec set at 70lbs. shooting a 29" A/C/C 3-60 with a 125gr. 3 blade Muzzy at about 260fps. I shoot it with a string-loop and Carter release.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

WOW!!!!!!! What a great story and a beautiful Bear!!!!! Nice picture as well! I really want to do a Bear hunt soon!

Congrats!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

You da man, I am not worthy!!! I think I'd still be shaking from that adrenaline rush!! That's my dream hunt right there...
Old 12-21-2006, 11:36 AM

awsome bears guys iam heading to new brunswick to munsons landing lodge at the end of may,hoppfully i can post some pics,
Old 12-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kodiak, that's one beautiful bear. Congratulations on taking him with the bow!! Very impressive. Some day I'd like to go on a kodiak hunt. Do you know if a resident can take a nonresident brown bear hunting in Alaska? I know if you're a nonresident you must be guided, but I was wondering if the guide must have his/her guide license or if it can be any resident of the state of Alaska that has lived there for 2+ years. Just something that I had heard and wondered if you knew.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 PM

As a non-resident you must have a guide to hunt brown bear, sheep, goats and I think musk ox. The guide must either be a registered guide or a resident relative of no more than second degree of kindred (in-law, cousin or closer). To be a resident you must have maintained a residence in the state for at least 12 months (and I think you have to be physically present for at least 9 of those 12 months and plan to stay indefinitely?).
Old 12-22-2006, 12:04 PM

Hey! I haven't posted on these forums for a while but decided it was time to start checking 'em out again. I went on a black bear hunt in Canadalast yearI've been dreaming about this hunt since my dad first went there two years ago. I live in the Chicago area and the outfitter, WFO Bear Hunts is located 60 miles N of Thunder Bay, so it was quite a drive, but I didn't really care.I was PUMPED.
We arrived at camp at around 2 or 3 so all we had time for was to change and get onto the stand. We brought both our rifles and bows. That night we decided to take the rifles, even though I wanted to take a bear with a bow.The weather was miserable, around 50 and rainy the whole time. Nothing came out. The following night I went out with my bow on what was supposed to be a "guaranteed" stand. Yeah right! I sat on that stand for three nights and saw diddly squat. The end of our hunt was drawing nearer so I was getting anxious to shoot one. Everyone else at camp had at least seen a bear. I was getting frustrated. I was sitting perfectly still every night, watched my scent, did everything right but nothing. Finally the fifth night, my persistance paid off.
I decided to switch stands that night. I was dropped off at my stand by a hunter from camp, Dave,at around 4 PM. I sat along the pipeline, which runs through all of Canada. It was pretty cold and windy. I sat there for 4 hours and figured that this night would end up like all of the others. At 8:10 i look under my stand and I see this big black blob. I'm just like Oh crap! My heart started racing. I was about 10 ft from this beast. After what seemed like an eternity, the bear started moving. He strolled around for about 10 min and finally approached the bait and quickly turned around.He never really offered me a shot. He came back and offered me that perfect broadside shot at about 15 yards. The bear charged off into the woods and Iwatched himas far as I could.After I hit the bear, I started shaking from the adrenaline and the cold but boy was I excited. I cautiously got off my stand after singing to scare off any bears LOL. I couldn't standwaiting to look for any signs of a hit. I couldn't see any signs of blood at the place where the bear was hit, but I wasn't too concerned. I got up on the stand again to wait for the hunter to pick me up as I wanted to avoid becoming bear bait. He finally arrived. We decided to wait for my dad and another hunter, Scott,who had a tracking dog.We found him shortly. The whole trip was sweet.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Bear and cool story kodiakarcher. Hey how do you like your ultratec?

Old 12-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Bartender

here is my bear pic

Old 12-27-2006, 09:54 AM

Mine isn't a bow kill but I thought I would share anyway. I wanted to get one under my belt with a gun first and then try to stick one with the bow. I took this guy in ME this fall, 302lbs boar shot with my S&W .44 mag pictured. I shot himfrom about 3 yards, I wish I would have taken him with my bow. My next one will be with bow.

Another pic from the guides website.

http://www.outdooradventurecompany.com/ClientPix/892_bear%20with%20maryland%20crew.jpg

Quick Reply: POST YOUR BEAR PICS HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.