Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late Season!

Old 11-25-2002, 06:05 PM

Default Late Season!

Late Season archery is approching quickly in my area and wondered if
some of you hunt the late season. And if so what do u do different?
Old 11-25-2002, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Late Season!

I hunt the entire season with a bow, until the close in Jan. The only thing I really do different is hunt more food sources, like the remaining oaks, and hunt HIGH. I would hunt between 15 and 20 till now then I go about 22 to 25 feet. Watch for deer to remain near the thickets because of the gun hunting pressure.they will be more alert in the later season.

Hunting ; an act of love for nature guided by the strongest spiritual forces.
http://www.adventuresoutdoors.freehomepage.com/
Old 11-25-2002, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt the entire season with a bow, until the close in Jan. The only thing I really do different is hunt more food sources, like the remaining oaks, and hunt HIGH. I would hunt between 15 and 20 till now then I go about 22 to 25 feet. Watch for deer to remain near the thickets because of the gun hunting pressure.they will be more alert in the later season.

Hunting ; an act of love for nature guided by the strongest spiritual forces.
http://www.adventuresoutdoors.freehomepage.com/
Old 11-28-2002, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Ben hit the nail right on the head. Concetrate on the food sources. Mature bucks do very little feeding during the rut, and thats why they lose so much weight.If you can stand the bitter cold temps that come with the late season it is not uncommon to see a mature buck feeding in an open food source well before sunset,but like he said you will have to hunt higher because they will be more alert. TO put in a more simple way, they are not as STUPID during the late season.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:23 AM

I hunt the late season with my bow also, after a fresh snow I like to go out and follow some fresh tracks to find out where they are bedded and or feeding(also a great time to scout for next years season). After I find where they are feedig and bedding I place a stand about halfway between using terrain to funnel deer towards my location.

Shots that are True....Pass right Through!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 02:28 PM

Late season bowhunting is my favorite time to hunt actually. Deer migrate here so i hunt the trails they use and food sources also. Best time of year to kill a big buck i figure they need to put on calories for winter and there alot easier to pattern this time of the year.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:51 PM

you bet, I hunt to the last day which is jan 1,The only thing I do different is I move my stand to a group of pine's in between a corn field and cedar swamp they bed in there every once in awhile but it's what I call a stageing area where they hold up a little before going into the corn field
Old 11-28-2002, 05:09 PM
Spike

I have hunted late season and done very well. Like everyone is saying hunt the food sources. Myself I have one word for you. COLD!

Check out my page.
http://www.geocities.com/scottbowden23/mydeer.html
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence and determination.
Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-29-2002, 05:13 AM

I love the late season hunts. I have found them to be especially exciting just before a storm or immediatly after a storm (at the food sources). remember that the deer are smart now. change your routines. go to your stand from a different direction, hunt higher, change your hunting hours, etc... change will make the late season hunts.

hunt on unt hard eat well