Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fingers & compound >

Fingers & compound

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fingers & compound

Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fingers & compound

What would you guys recommend for a bow for somebody wanting to shoot fingers?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM

Default RE: Fingers & compound

I would recommend a bow with a longer axle to axle length so you don't pinch your fingers. Something around 38-40 inches. goood luck.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking earlier this year to replace my compound that I shot with fingers. I only found two compounds that have over 40" ATA. Reflex Caribou and the other was a Martin (can't remember the model), both over the $500 mark. I decided to just take the plunge and go to a recurve since I shot instinctive and fingers anyway. Finger shooters aren't being considered much anymore in the compound world. Parallel limbs and small ATA is the trend which creates severe angles on fingers and thus pinching.

My recommendation? Go traditional or shoot compounds with a release.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only found two compounds that have over 40" draws.
I'm betting that you meant 40" axle-to-axle lengths.

Anyway, I shoot a compound for deer, and havereleased with fingers all my life. Definitely keep the ATA above 36". Mine is 36" (PSE Beast), so there is some finger pinch, and it does not have the forgiveness of a longer bow.

Your rest selection will be limited with fingers, and I suggest feathers with helical twist to iron out the occassional poorly executed release. I use a leather shooting glove under a regular glove that has the three fingers cut out of it. Gotta keep a warmer in the pocket, even when it is only in the 30's.

Make sure to use the same style and thickness of glove in practice/tuning as when hunting. I've noticed a difference in how arrows leave the bow, even with small differences in thickness or finish.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

I'm betting that you meant 40" axle-to-axle lengths.
Uh, yeah. Fixed it. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM
dws

Bad news, the Reflex Caribou has been discontinued this year.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shot fingers...it really depends on your draw length personally....i have a 31" draw and shot a Parker with 37" axle to axle....need to upgrade to something a little longer, but it still shoots fine...would recommened anything around 38-40 should be fine especually if your draw is shorter then 31"
Old 12-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Generally you want the longest axle-to-axle you can find with whatever features you like as well (cams, limbs, etc). With some research, you can find many compounds for shooting with fingers without going "traditional" if you really don't want to. I like all kinds of bows, modern and trad, and shoot some of the compounds with finger tabs and others with releases. To each his own.

First off, if you follow this link, Hunter's Friend maintains a pretty extensive database on bow specs. If you look in the left hand column, you can narrow the database by axle-to-axle length. If you choose the "show only bows over 38" A2A" you'll see there are many, many choices for the finger shooter still. This is the 2006 database, but I am sure they will update it when most of the '07 models are out: http://www.huntersfriend.com/2006-Bow-Reviews/bow-specifications-main.htm

With regards to Reflex discontinuing the Caribou, I think they are sort of replacing it with another finger shooter's bow called the Montega by Hoyt; it looks like a nice bow and there may be a Reflex equivalent at some point if not already: http://www.hoyt.com/products/montega.tpl
The Caribou is one of the best known current finger shooting bows thanks to Chuck Adams, and since they are being discontinued, you might be able to find them at a discount; though due to their popularity with compound finger shooters, it is doubtful.

Another lesser-known company not listed is Lakota Archery. They have 40" and 42" models as well. They are very quick for finger shooting bows and are fairly easy on the sock-drawer fund: http://www.lakota-industries.com/LakotaArchery/LA_Specifications.htm

Just some stuff to chew on in your search.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me ask this to those finger shooters out there; is a one-cam bow good for finger-shooters?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Caribou may have been discontinued, but seeing as how Chuck Adams shoots fingers and shoots Reflex I am guessing they will have a bow for finger shooters somewhere in the line up.

Quick Reply: Fingers & compound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.