Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ladies arrow/head combo? >

ladies arrow/head combo?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ladies arrow/head combo?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ladies arrow/head combo?

The lighter you go in draw weight/kinetic energy, the more I think you must rely on momentum and arrow weight to get the job done. Don't even consider going less than 400 grains for hunting arrows. At 20 yards max, speed is a non-issue. It's far more important to have a QUIET, accurate arrow than a speedy one.

Those 280-360 gn toothpicks are good for target shooting and 3D but, IMO, using those ultra light arrows with a bow that's barely at the legal minimum for hunting is flirting with disaster. I'd suggest 400-460 grains - even 500 gns wouldn't be off my list for shooting broadheads at 20 yards and under - and a 100 gn cut on contact head like Magnus Stingers.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

The lighter you go in draw weight/kinetic energy, the more I think you must rely on momentum and arrow weight to get the job done. Don't even consider going less than 400 grains for hunting arrows. At 20 yards max, speed is a non-issue. It's far more important to have a QUIET, accurate arrow than a speedy one.
I've got to agree with Arthur on this one. Wendy is shooting the Beman Max4 with a 100 grain G5 Montec at 25" and 50#. The hardest problem I'm having with her is emphasizing the importance of keeping them sharp. (She keeps shooting her hunting arrows at the target when I'm not around then putting them back in her quiver!)
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife shoots the same set up and she shoots 85 gr magnus stingers. Good cut on contact head for great penetration.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree a heavy arrow is a good idea and I would suggest a cut on contact broadhead. I thought that 9 grains per pound was a fairly heavy ratio, (I bet a lot of these guys are in the 6 grains region) of course 10 grains is better but thought he'd balk at that heavy an arrow. What do you guys think about a tapered shaft? At that slow a speed and low poundage it would make the arrow really point heavy.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Those 280-360 gn toothpicks are good for target shooting and 3D but, IMO, using those ultra light arrows with a bow that's barely at the legal minimum for hunting is flirting with disaster. I'd suggest 400-460 grains - even 500 gns wouldn't be off my list for shooting broadheads at 20 yards and under - and a 100 gn cut on contact head like Magnus Stingers.
There you have it, saved me some typing.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Talondale, forget ratios when you start falling below 400 grains with light draw weight bows. It just doesn't work for hunting arrows.

You worry about being point heavy at slow speed? HA! How about guys who hardly ever break 200 fps with their arrow speeds? A lot of traditional shooters are flocking to point heavy arrows. They're sticking brass inserts and/or insert weights in their carbon arrows to get arrow weight up over 500 grains and they're getting very top heavy....running FOC's up around 25-35%.

Some of the research being done in Australia is showing some pretty impressive data for increased penetration with very high arrow FOC values. What I've heard from some of my buddies who are running very high FOC%, their hits on game pretty much confirm the Australia data.

And no, their arrows don't fly nose down. Actually, arrow flight is very good. So, I'd say it's far better to have a really high FOC than a really low one - at any arrow speed.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

any arrow cut to proper legnth and proper spine will suffice...id try to get a decint weight..i wouldnt go super light or super heavy..

as for heads...id go with a cut on contact head..
I'll have to second that.

With a low draw weight like that, the lowest that is legal in IL for deer, you want to maximize your penetration. Keep a decently heavy arrow and BH's that will start cutting as soon as they touch.

I'd have to recommend against mechanicals (expand-on-impact).
Too much energy lost upon opening, and you want her to keep everything she puts into that short, light draw.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Arthur I was SUGGESTING he make it point heavy. I just didn't know how well tapered shafts perform with a compound. I know a lot of people use them with trad bows at lower pounds. I just worded it badly. LOL
Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 PM

I shoot a Reflex Excursion at 43#. My arrows are 27" and I am shooting 100 grain Muzzys. Last year I got two hogs with one shot (pass through and lung shot) and the Muzzy was still sharp. The only change I have made from that set up is that now my Muzzys are pink! This is second year I have hunted with a bow and so far no shot at anything with it. But we leave the day after Christmas for three days hog hunting so who knows?