Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best day ever in the Deer Woods!! >

Best day ever in the Deer Woods!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best day ever in the Deer Woods!!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Best day ever in the Deer Woods!!

I have spent many years deer hunting, and I have seen alot of cool things.
However, on November 16th, between 1pm and 2pm was my most exciting day. Over the years, I have killed some nice deer and seen some rutting behavior, but this took the cake.
I get to my stand at 1pm. At 1:15, two small bucks were chasing does. Grunting and going crazy. I thought to myself, "This will be a good day." 5 minutes later, I hear the loudest, deepest grunt ever. It sounded like a cow with bad constipation. I look towards the grunting and see a doe. Behind her is a 10 pt monster. He would score in the high 150's easy. He was chasing her for awhile and 55 yards in front of me, she just stopped. Walked a semi-circle and stopped again. Then the monster buck mounted her! Of all my years, I have never seen this before. She walked another semi-circle, stopped and he mounted again. This went on for a few more minutes. She walked away and he obviousily followed. I tried grunting, but NO way a buck would leave a hot doe.
10 minutes later, I hear another grunt. From the same area, another Doe was being chased by another big buck. This one was a nice 9 pointer. Again, he mounted her! Talk about the peak of the rut! Felt like I was at the Playboy mansion or something. A few minutes later, I saw a smaller Buck chasing a doe...and behind the smaller buck was another giant buck.
I have never seen rutting action like this before. What a wonderful day in the deer woods.
This was the best day in the woods without killing a deer.
p.s. Gun Season opened 2 days later in Oklahoma. Needless to say, everythinggot screwed up bigtime. I spent 8 days hunting hard for those 3 big deer and none showed. However, I took a respectable8 pointer. After the gun season, I talked to some landowners and they mentioned that 2 of those big boys are still out there.
I still have2weeks of bowhunting and seen some monster tracks in my neck of the woods. Hopefully,I will get ONE more shot at one of those bucks.
Merry Christmas.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Best day ever in the Deer Woods!!

Wow! That is the most awesome, single day experience I've ever heard of. Makes me wish that you would've had your camera. Wow again!

BTW, you are a real chatty guy on here with 13 posts in over 3 years!

Quality not quantity, huh?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: 12point_Sooner

I have spent many years deer hunting, and I have seen alot of cool things.
However, on November 16th, between 1pm and 2pm was my most exciting day. Over the years, I have killed some nice deer and seen some rutting behavior, but this took the cake.
I get to my stand at 1pm. At 1:15, two small bucks were chasing does. Grunting and going crazy. I thought to myself, "This will be a good day." 5 minutes later, I hear the loudest, deepest grunt ever. It sounded like a cow with bad constipation. I look towards the grunting and see a doe. Behind her is a 10 pt monster. He would score in the high 150's easy. He was chasing her for awhile and 55 yards in front of me, she just stopped. Walked a semi-circle and stopped again. Then the monster buck mounted her! Of all my years, I have never seen this before. She walked another semi-circle, stopped and he mounted again. This went on for a few more minutes. She walked away and he obviousily followed. I tried grunting, but NO way a buck would leave a hot doe.
10 minutes later, I hear another grunt. From the same area, another Doe was being chased by another big buck. This one was a nice 9 pointer. Again, he mounted her! Talk about the peak of the rut! Felt like I was at the Playboy mansion or something. A few minutes later, I saw a smaller Buck chasing a doe...and behind the smaller buck was another giant buck.
I have never seen rutting action like this before. What a wonderful day in the deer woods.
This was the best day in the woods without killing a deer.
p.s. Gun Season opened 2 days later in Oklahoma. Needless to say, everythinggot screwed up bigtime. I spent 8 days hunting hard for those 3 big deer and none showed. However, I took a respectable8 pointer. After the gun season, I talked to some landowners and they mentioned that 2 of those big boys are still out there.
I still have2weeks of bowhunting and seen some monster tracks in my neck of the woods. Hopefully,I will get ONE more shot at one of those bucks.
Merry Christmas.

don't you just love gun season.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow that sounds like a great day in the woods . I've never seen a buck mount mount a doe while in the woods .
Old 12-17-2006, 06:26 AM

Thats what its all about, a great day in the woods.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

A great day? How about a fantastic hour?!..lol I've seen some heavy rutting activity in my time as well and logged thousands of hours in a treestand but I never watched a buck mount a doe during daylight hours. Very cool
Old 12-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds awesome, that is one good day!
Old 12-17-2006, 01:09 PM

You are right, quality over quanity. I mean to post more because I can't get enough about deer hunting, but I belong to so many message boards, I have a hard time getting to all of them...
After that day, I went out and bought a very nice digital camera. Believe me, I have taken that camera everyday into woods since that day. But think about it, what will be the chance on having that kind of day again? I've been hunting for 20 years and that was the first time to see a buck mount a doe...twice!
Gun season...I hate it. I spend countless hours scouting, putting up stands, etc...you know the drill. Well, Gun season opens and every yahoo with a gun and dress orange hits the woods. It took 10 days after gun season for the woods to settle down. 10 days! We had a full moon after gun season which didn't help, but still.
We have a secondary rut going on right now, and I am hoping some bucks will get out there and roam...

Old 12-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like a awesome hunt.