Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What made you become a bowhunter....... >

What made you become a bowhunter.......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What made you become a bowhunter.......

Old 12-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What made you become a bowhunter.......

my friend introduced me but i am like that.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

My parents bought my brother a Crossman BB gun on his 10th birthday (Big deal for them). We used to shoot it as a family.....and I got my own when I was 10. I remember getting a .22 rifle when I was 11 or 12. Back then....the issue was getting someone to buy ammo for me. The gun was given to me. Dad also gave me a .410 that I used to squirrel and rabbit hunt with.

I remember my grandfather giving me a sise-by-side 12 guage that I dove hunted with through high school. After college.....I bought a little nicer shotgun and got into waterfowl hunting. That's when I guess I learned that you sometimes had to be miserable to say you were having fun.

I only picked up the bow a little over a year ago. I love that I have to......no...I GET to be as close to these animals as I get. It's not describeable to anyone who doesn't do it.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 AM

I saw how few hunters around my area were bow hunting & yakked with some of the people on here on here about how to get started. I wanted a longer season & more time in the woods alone. Gun season here is too short & crowded.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually didn't start hunting till I was about 17 and my wifes father got me started into hunting with guns. I started shooting a bow at targets around that time, but never really went into the woods with a bow to hunt until about two years ago. I am still learning several things about bow hunting and what not to do. I really got myself started into bow hunting because I was thinking one day that any person can just sit on the edge of an open field and shoot a deer 300 yards or furthur and where is the fun in that? That is when I decided to try bow hunting and have really enjoyed the close encounters that you just can't expierence with a gun from 300 yards away. I tell everyone hunter in my family to just give bow hunting a try and they will get hooked. I have converted a few...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

The genetics were bred into me...LOL
I'm glad they were too. I couldn't imagine growing up in a family that didn't hunt and never knowing that side of life. I have 4 brothers and all but 1 hunt. Dad must have misfired on that one...LOL

MC
Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me it started with buying some hunting property. I hunted small game when I was younger and did a little deer hunting when I was older, but when I bought some land, I enjoyed the hunting so much more. I had a great time that first year hunting with a muzzleloader for the first time and rifle season was a blast. When rifle season was over, I started thinking about extending the season by bowhunting. I bought a bow, started hunting and the rest is history.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

dad introduced me to hunting, fishing shooting etc at a young young age..BEFORE diaper age lol...he used to be a hardcore bowhunter...i used to have a mini compound..it was like a longbow with wheels. 9lb draw..i used to shoot with him. he said i was pretty deadly. then he quit bowhunting. i always wanted to get into bowhunting but never had the funding for a bow and everything...till this summer. i finally bought my first bow. ive gunhunted since i was 12. killed 10 with a gun. started flintlocking when i was 16..havent killed any with that..i think its cursed! gun hunting got kinda....boring. oh theres a deer..BANG..ok now you gotta gut it and drag it..yay. although i gunhunt like i bowhunt and scout just as hard it was just to easy..most of my deer with the 3006 were within bow range...one i could killed with a bayonet if i had one no joke..and our bowseason is a much better time to hunt big bucks without relying on luck or drives then it is in gunseason...pressure is less and the deer move more naturally. soooo i decided to start bowhunting...im now an addict..already pondering the idea of spring gobbler hunting with the bow..though i realize itll be dam near impossible without a blind im just crazy enough to try! the only thing that would come close is taking a spring bird with a big ole smooth bore flinter...which is my next major purchase someday.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive always shot bows. Ever since I was a little kid. I guess it was just the next step. My family always hunted, I guess the combination of my family being hunters, and my shooting bows just went hand in hand.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was a rifle hunter already & I wanted to extend my hunting season. Archery hunting added a extra monthto myhunting season.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bow hunt because I can get in the woods about six weeks earlier, not to mention the “rut”. It is pretty cool stuff. Most interesting part for me is there’s no “BANG”! Kind of cool not wearing blaze orange either. You’re hiding from everyone, including humans, which has been pretty interesting.

But I don’t really consider myself a “bow-hunter”. I would say I’m a stalk hunter, because I like to stalk my prey! Or a “hound”, when I’ve been able to run them down (hey, I’m a poet). I’ve been stalking with a bow this year a number of times, but haven’t had any luck. I’ve gotten up on a few, but the areas are so thick I haven’t been able to take a shot. Mostly just see white flags leaving the area in a hurry! I guess I don’t find it very interesting to sit in a tree all day, if I can stalk. But it is a great way to increase the odds when the woods can’t or won’t permit stalking that day, and you do see some pretty cool things that you don’t usually see when you’re sneaking around in the woods. Neat seeing how the animals act when they don’t know you’re there.

My favorite is stalking with my shotgun, loaded up with slugs. For me, that is the most challenging way to hunt and still have some success. Especially those few times I’ve gotten the one deer that I’ve been after.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: What made you become a bowhunter.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.