Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Take the shotgun or the bow? >

Take the shotgun or the bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Take the shotgun or the bow?

Old 11-25-2002, 12:10 PM

Default Take the shotgun or the bow?

In Connecticut Bow season is paused until 12/10 but Shotgun season opens here in Massachusetts on 12/2.

I can take my bow or my shotgun during gun season.

Which would you take and why?
Old 11-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Take the shotgun or the bow?

Geoff that is personal preference, there are folks who only hunt with bow and they will say so, I will be honest and say I would pick up the gun, why? Well I will be honest, gun is easier unless you are in a heavily hunted area and I love venison.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-25-2002, 12:19 PM

Iowa's bow season closes during shot gun season. I will be hunting with my shot gun and return to the bow wants it re-oipens in hopes to fill both tags.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'm wondering the same thing. MD rifle opens this weekend, but unfortunately, my rifle spot has fell through. I have to hunt at my grandmothers instead. This is a good spot for deer, but sits between
3 houses. I trust myself only to take a good, safe shot, but still feel uneasy about being around 3 houses. I've decided to either take the muzzleloader or the bow. I feel the .270 would be just asking for trouble. I'm kind of leaning towards the muzzleloader just because of a longer range than the bow (but shorter than the .270).
Don't get me wrong, I love the bow, but the deer are going to be spooky, the range is shorter, and I have to wear blaze orange by law.
I think this would be stacking the deck against myself to take the bow on the opener.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:33 PM

Taz is right!

I'd take the bow. Why? Because if I can't get close enough with a bow, let it walk. That's just me. Geoff, you have fun no matter what weapon you choose!
Old 11-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

I love my bow, but I gotta grab my 12ga. on December, 2. Around here the deer are really pressured during gun so if I take my bow I aint gonna get one. Reason, they just wont come within 20yds unless I stalk and that becomes impossible with the manditory orange law. I just like shotguns too. JMO

&quot;A Country Boy Can Survive&quot; </IMG>
Old 11-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a personal choice. I use to be into guns as much as I am into bow now. I still love guns, all kinds, and I really love deer hunting. Yes bowhunting is my favorite, but I still get great satisfaction from a well placed shot from my muzzle loader or 7mm mag. I do become more selective with a rifle though. Our gun season is in it's 2nd week. I had two deer in the freezer, but wanted one more, so last tuesday I Shot a small doe for the freezer. I knew it was small, and while it was not really a big challenge, the shot was well placed, the deer did not suffer one bit, and I have enough meat to last until next year. I wouldn't shoot a buck unless it was really nice. It's kind of funny though, most of my deer have been killed at 30 yards or so, well within my bow range. Take what you want, and don't let someone elses choice dictate yours.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS