HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What was your worst hunt?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What was your worst hunt?

i cant recall ANY day in the woods that i wish i hadnt gone out. i honestly believe any day in the woods is better then a day doing anything else.....

and i spend more days afield then most anyone i know..if im not hunting im fishing(alot of that is deep woods fishing) and if im not hunting or fishing im scouting. just getting to the point that ive seen ALOT of stuff that most guys never wanna see in the woods. ive coonhunted in the middle of the night and got caught in NASTY NASTY storms with trees blowing over all around and lightning cracking down. ive been in wind storms, blizzards, thurnderstorms etc...ive hunted in 90+degree heat and sun clear down to below zero with nasty windchills. ive been soaked to the bone and shivering and could barely walk because my bones and muscles got so tight (awesome day turkey hunting that morning but i was soaked waist down and it was about 40 degrees!) ive been slightly turned around for GOOD parts of a day...ive got seperated from part of my group in a nasty nasty thunderstorm and we were ontop of a mountain...i havent seen it all....but ive hunted in alot of nasty stuff and been through some nasty situations...but never had a BAD hunt. ive walked hours and hours on end...stand hunting the rest of the hours of the day to not even see a tweety bird let alone game...still came out laughing and joking with dad.

if i come out of the woods alive it was a good day....if i dont come out alive....i died where i love to be.

im sure forgeting your release and watching monster bucks walk by all morning(heard that story a couple times lol) wasnt a picture perfect situation...but just having the time to be out there to witness those monster bucks is enough for me. im just an odd ball like that. some of my best hunts arent the ones i came home with anything either...i remember one morning i was sitting in my homemade brushblind deer hunting. ive never ever seen a squrriel in that spot ever. that morning was freezing and 6 inches of snow on the ground kept it cold. i always clear out all the snow from that brush blind(its on a boulder) and make it kinda comfy and cozy for me) lunch time im eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and here comes a little red squirrel. i couldnt help but to see if hed eat lunch with me. and he did. im a solid mile from the road. that squirrel never been feed by anyone and here he is sitting IN my brush blind eating the sandwhich i handed him. i went back there a couple more times that season...call me wierd but i packed him a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich every morning and every morning when the sun got above the mountain he would come sit with me. no joke...he was awesome. ill remember my little buddy longer then the time i killed a particular deer...