Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 pulling it back!!! >

pulling it back!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

pulling it back!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Default pulling it back!!!

the other day i had trouble pulling the bow back when it was really cold after sitting in the stand for 3 hours in 19 degree weather. Do you guys have any tips on how to pull it back in freezing temperture? Here in southern maryland it's been kinda of warma nd that's what i'm use to, but sometimes it get's cold...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:03 PM

Default RE: pulling it back!!!

When you plan on hunting cold temperatures, its always a good idea to decrease your draw weight 5 - 10 lbs.

It will make it a lot easier to draw. Also, draw your bow periodically while on stand.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Pull less pounds...or shoot more in the offseason to be better equipped to pull it back when it gets cold and you got lots of layers on.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to lower you poundage if you cant pull it back. I dont care how cold it is you should be able to pull you bow back while hunting.

Also,(you may be doing this already) make sure you keep up your practice shooting during the season. Many people practice all summer and work up to a poundage theyre are proficient with and then stop shooting during the season. Your muscles get weaker and come december/cold weather they cant pull the same weight anymore.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wouldn't you have to retune your bow if you drop the poundage? I know my POA would be different.

Personally, I just draw it back a few times to keep the muscles warm.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pull your bow back once an hour to keep the muscles warm. I agree with a lot of the above. I can easily pull back 70lbs but now I shoot 58lbs. Compute the KE and also test the FPS there is hardly a difference.

Yes you would have to re-sight your bow if you lower the poundage.

Tom
Old 12-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I was REALLY worried about this Saturday morning (14 degrees when I got on stand). I pulled it the first time about 7:15 (had to let down....no shot). No worries. I pulled it again at 8:10(no shot, again)....no worries. Again at 8:15 and I got to let it go, that time.

I'd bought the bow at 71 lbs.....and honestly reduced it to where I thought I wouldn't have a problem with it at that temp. Checked it again.....and it was 68 lbs. Not much diff.....but I didn't know it was that close to max'd.

Worked out, fine, but I agree witht he others except.....I used to draw my bow on stand when nothing was around. I then got to thinking about what was maybe looking at ME that I couldn't see. I quit that.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM

THANKS GUYS FOR THE TIPS...