Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why shoot 1 pin

Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Why shoot 1 pin

Now bear with me guys.

I know alot of you don't want the confusion of multiple pins and that is fine but holding high or low is more confusing to me.

There is an easier way

Pin gapping

Think about it like your using a 3-d target.I know a live animal isn't a target but for demonstration purposes it will be great.

Set 1 pin for the top of the 10 ring at 20 yards and set another pin for the bottom of the 10 ringat 30 yards.

This would allow you to put both pins on the kill from 5 yards all the way out to around 32 yards.

You always aim for the 10 ring with both pins. Close or long shots. Top pin on top and bottom pin on bottom.[:-]

You never have to hold high or low again,you never have to aim for the exit on close shots because you are hitting slightly high at 10 yards.This puts you arrow through both lungs.Some may need to adjust at 10 yards,depending on your setup,I don't.

The only time you adjust is on a shot at 35 yards which isgetting close to max for most 1 pin shooters anyway.If you have really quick rig,you may not have to hold high at 35 but it would have to be a really quick rig.

I have seen people with really fast setups do this method but sight in at 20 and 40.

I set pins like most 20,30,40,50 and that puts my pinslike I have described above.Most of the time when I KNOW yardage I can use the pin but when I have a quick shot at odd yardage,I'm gapping.[8D]
Old 12-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why shoot 1 pin

Most of todays bows, speaking of mine, one pin at 25 yards would do the same thing.

I still use multiple pins.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is a tatic i use when 3d shooting if I am unsure of yardage on longer targets... you can at least usually salvage a 10 even on the smaller targets that really fool you on yardage....
Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude it took you a full page just to describe it.

Too complicated. I'll stick with one pin.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

It takes 27 for mine and it is really high at 20.

I just hear alot saying they hold high or low.

I quess my point is I am trying to simplify using multiple pins so a person can use 4 or 5 pins on their bow and still hunt with 1. But 1 is now 2.

Now you are able to shoot 3-d or in the back yard and work on pin point accuracy and not have to change a thing when they go hunting.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

I usefour pins
1-yellow-20yards
2-green-30yards
3-hot pink-40yards
4-red-50yards
I use red on my fifty because if the light doesn't allow visability on my red i wont take that far of a shot due to lighting conditions.

[hr]

my 2 cents
Old 12-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I use one pin when I hunt.....

BECAUSE I CAN.

I'll use it to 30 yds. I'm not shooting past that. I couldn't do that with my old bow. I can with my new one. it's that simple.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

The farthest I ever shoot is 30 yards and that is rare. Most of my areas I bow hunt allow for a 20-25 yard shot max... My bow shoots very well up to 30 w/ one pin... less room for error.
They only way I would move up to more pins is if I were going on a bowhunting trip out west for elk or something... or up for caribou...

Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with SB. I have one pin and it stays put. I mark a 30 yard circle around my stands or bring a range finder with me. If I am unsure the distance and I am unable to check, then it walks. I have never had a shot over 20 yards. I think the longest has been 17.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM

I use one pin because my bow allows me to. My arrows hit the same spot out to 25 yards. If I want to shoot 30 I aim about 2-3 inches higher. If the deer is farther out...I don't shoot.

Quick Reply: Why shoot 1 pin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.