Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First time butcher >

First time butcher

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time butcher

Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Default RE: First time butcher

I skin my deer similar to most that have already posted. However, I add an additional step. After first cutting the hide in all the right places - legs, neck, down the length of the sternum, I take out my shop vac and suck up all the loose hairs before I begin to pull the hide off. The few that end up on the meat are disposed of with a propane torch.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 PM

Well I have skinned/ quartered/ deboned many deer. Over 30. We hang them by the back legs. when you cut around the back leg and all that hair that starts to come off just take your hand and sorta scoop it all off and throw! it aside and dont throw it in to the wind. LOL but that usaly works fine for me. Just when your getting a bunch of hair befor it falls all the way off on to the meat grab it and throw it away.

If you have anyother questions feel free to PM me or ask on here

Mike
Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

This is how we do it, it's fast and simple and really cuts down on the hair.

Before you hand your deer take a saw and cut off the front legs above the knee. Cut off the back legs BELOW the knee so you have the tendon/leg bone "loop" to hand it from.

Now, take your knife and on the back legs slit (just under the skin) from where you made the cut to field dress teh deer all the way to where you sawed the legs off on the inside of each leg.

Be careful around the tendon with the knife. Work this skin down the leg towards the thigh (once you get the hang of it this is a quick cut and pull procedure).

Now that that is done, hang the deer by the back legs.

Extend the cut you made along the brisket all the way to the head, just under the skin.

On the front legs, start where you cut them off and slice along the inside of the legs until you connect this cut to the cut you just made up the brisket.

Now the hide should be hanging down around the thighs of the back legs, grab a hold of it and pull down so it'sjust below the tail.

Now grab the tail and pull down on it while cutting across the base of it right where it connects to the body. Go in between the little bones in the tail to keep from dulling your knife or use a saw. Leave the tail attached to the skin.

Once the tail bone is severed pull down on the tail to pull the hide down on the back of the deer.

Alternate between the hide you freed from the hind legs and the tail working the skin all the way down to the head. You may have to use the knife a little to cut pieces of meat loose of the hide so it peels off easier but it will be very little.

Once you reach the head, cut through the neck and saw through the spine to free the hide and head from the rest of the carcass. If done right, this will leave you with fairly "hair-free" carcass but it doesn't hurt to wash it off again.

Next I remove the tenderloins and then the backstraps. Then I remove each front shoulder with a knife and then cut the chest cavity loose with a saw just in front of the hind quarters. Finally, I take the saw and split through the rest of the pelvis holding the hind quarters together.

It's really a simple and easy process, it just takes some practice!
Old 12-05-2006, 03:38 PM
EBB
Spike

This was my first year doing it myself and it doubled the thrill of the hunting experience. It's really and completely your hunt at that point - now I could never have someone else do it.
I agree with the above two posts after researching on the web & asking around a lot. Have you ever seen a blow torch or a shop vac in a butcher shop?
As for water - I worked as a chef for a good number of years and we never, ever washed steak. Why do that do your deer?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

This is definetly a situation where there very well may be 100 ways to skin a deer.

Here is my .02.

Hang the deer by it's neck not the back legs. Using a knife cut all the lower limbs off. Starting on the inside of what remains of each limb, cut the skin down to the center of the body. Cut a ring around the neck of the deer. Cut down the center of the sternum. Start skinning.

You will get much less hair on your deer this way. At least that has been my experience.

The few hairs that are left you can use a blow torch or in my case a propane torch to singe them off. Just wave it back and forth along the carcass.

Tom

I have done a 100+ deer and this is the easiest to me. Get the hide off and then take a small propane torch and burn the hair off. If it hasnt been dead for long I can skin, quarter and debone by myself in under 2 hrs.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Hair problems on the deer meat start in the fieldafter dresssing.If it is at all posible don't split the pelvis untill your deer is hanging ,when it is split and open it will alow the hair and other debris to get on the hind meats.Like one of the guys mentioned cut from the inside out when you start doing the ring cut.Freedome01115 gave some of the best advise and does it the same as I do.After I bust out the quarters,take the saddle(backstraps with bone),and cut out the tenderloins and some nexk meat I take the meat inside to my garage and start taking apart the hind meats and making roast and steak cuts,then butterfly the backstraps into steaks.The "golf ball method" of removing the hyde ,I read about that along time ago when I just got into deer hunting,you can remove the hyde many other ways, and one is simple using your hands and weight .
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you skin the legs get the knife under the hide dont cut through the hair. It makes a mess and dulls a knife in no time.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:48 PM

use one of those "tacky" or "sticky" rollers people use to take pet hair off of their clothes or use one of the meat scrappers like they use in meat departments and grocery stores and scrape it down the carcass
plus remember if the weather is HOT remove the hide right away,,and if it is COLD leave the hide on till the last minute
plus as we are skinning IF hair gets on the meat we just scrape the hair off with our knife blade and wipe it on a towel,,i have never heard of using a propane torch to singe hair off,,seems like it would sear(SP) the meat or melt the hair on/into the meat
Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may be interested in this video produced by the Virginia Dept of Game.
https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=VW250
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ohiobob

use one of those "tacky" or "sticky" rollers people use to take pet hair off of their clothes or use one of the meat scrappers like they use in meat departments and grocery stores and scrape it down the carcass
plus remember if the weather is HOT remove the hide right away,,and if it is COLD leave the hide on till the last minute
plus as we are skinning IF hair gets on the meat we just scrape the hair off with our knife blade and wipe it on a towel,,i have never heard of using a propane torch to singe hair off,,seems like it would sear(SP) the meat or melt the hair on/into the meat
Ohiobob, run lighter past your arm. Does it sear your arm? Is there any hair left. Think about it.

Quick Reply: First time butcher

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.