Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many people shoot back tension?? >

How many people shoot back tension??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many people shoot back tension??

Old 12-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many people shoot back tension??

I do, all the time.
Yes you do.Not much choice there huh? LOL

I shoot a Thumb trigger primarily with back tension on the 3D course although not a true back tension release,as well asmy index trigger for hunting.(Or at least practicing)
Even under pressure hunting situations I set the entire shot up as if I was going to shoot back tension and generally gently command the shot the rest of the way. As long as I approach the shot properly a quick necessary "punch" on an animal remains more than adequately accurate to get the job done. By setting the shot, hand and muscles up properly that needed "command" shot becomes a gentle tug to finish off the shot rather than an all out sweep or punch.
Anyone who tells you they are shooting 100% back tension shooting at live game is probably 99% fibbing.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone who tells you they are shooting 100% back tension shooting at live game is probably 99% fibbing.
True that.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:43 PM

You guys are absolutely right. I wouldn't be able to get the release to go off at a live animal to save my life or be happy with the shot if it had to be a quick one.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 & 4 finger Stan's, Fail Safe thumb! And don't you laugh GregH, For hunting I still use an old HOT SHOT, with a hole drilled through it for a home made wrist strap, got tired of going back down the tree to retreve it like a squirl! Also use a Free Flight for hunting. WVBowhunter when you go to school, you go to a good one, Larry is one of the best!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Site Buck Guru

I knew some guys that actually hunted with a 2 finger stan. Can you imagine that? That is a good way to punch yourself in the mouth then depend upon your safety harness to catch you as you fall out of your stand. I like the Stan for indoors, but I like my Carter too.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Love my Carter.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

2 & 4 finger Stan's, Fail Safe thumb! And don't you laugh GregH, For hunting I still use an old HOT SHOT, with a hole drilled through it for a home made wrist strap, got tired of going back down the tree to retreve it like a squirl! Also use a Free Flight for hunting. WVBowhunter when you go to school, you go to a good one, Larry is one of the best!
Hot shots were popular for hunting. I'll bet you have one of those old plastic pistol grip w/strap releases, I forgot what they're called. Although I saw a pro shoot 60 Xs at a regional tourney once.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg you make me laugh Man, Thats almost how I got my 2 finger. My Cousin got it whenthayfirst come out, we were shooting in his back yard and he pulls it out of his quiver (as if it was some sort of secret weapon or something) Loads an arrow up, gets it to half draw, and BAM right in the mouth! He kind of mumbels what the he!! Looks at the release, loads another arrow up, gets it about half draw, BAM right in the mouth, and lets out another What the He!!, only this time with much more enthusiasm, flicks the release back and forth a few times looking at it, wipes the blood off his lips, and loads another arrow up, ( by this time im dieing to laugh ) gets it to half draw and "BAM" right in the mouth! He throwes his bow down takes off running and cursing at the same time, and throws that bad little mo hammer jammer just as hard as he can into thebush hoged field accross the street. I lay my bow down walk over, pick it up,hang it on my quiver, and he never said another word about it! I think the other release your talking about was the wilson thumb tab, or maybe the rope spike?I didnt have either one of those but I do have the Plastic wedge, the first release to shoot a perfect 300. Heck I still have the first bow, (Golden Eagle)that Jugger Jarvis, Bob Bitner, and Bob Brewer, shot the first perfect 300 scores with at the world championship at Cobo Hall, in Detroit Mi. in 1969. I shot my first perfect score with it. I even have a the May1973 issue of Archery with Iron Eyes Cody and Sugar Ray Robinson holding a Golden Eagle on the cover to go with it. Man were did the time GO?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Site Buck Guru

I had to ask the GF, the release I was talking about was called the Pro Injector. No swivel head, just a flat piece of plastic. You are right, Stans are easy to acquire. I bought one at an archery shop for $50, I got 3-4 more at local tournaments and at the indoor range I go to. I got them for free all the wayup to $5. ALL of them after the users second face punch!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot pure back tension for a couple of years to cure target panic,Carter Colby's with the rotating head.I hunted one season using that release and did fine.Definitely could be a little or a lot touchy though if your release is set hot!
I now do all of my shooting with a Truball pinky extreme,I don't trigger the shot with my pinky though,I lay my pinky on the trigger and the shot is triggered with back tension.Practically always on game once I am on target and my mind wants the release to fire,the arrow is on it's way.
The use of back tension likely saved me from exiting the sport of archery.

Quick Reply: How many people shoot back tension??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.