Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you still hunt with guns >

Do you still hunt with guns

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you still hunt with guns

Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Do you still hunt with guns

"They both can pick a deer off farther with great accuracythan any of us with our 12 gauges. Again I have never used one before so I could be completly wrong."

I have fired a friend's on the range and found it very accurate. He claims the same thing, that it's much more accurate than his slug gun and at longer distances. In fact, he uses it during shotgun season with a scope, which is legal here. No scope during the ML season, though.

The supposed challenge comes from only being able to have "one shot." Or the assumption that you'll pretty much only get one shot off as waiting for the smoke to clear and reloading the gun will take much too long for you to get a second shot off if you miss the first time. Whereas with the shotgun you can blast away shot after shot without reloading. Truth be told, most of the ML hunters would drop the deer with the first shot anyway considering the improved accuracy. This is the case with my friend at least. Otherwise he'd leave it at home during shotgun season.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really think a lot of you guys would like handgun hunting. You still have something that goes bang, but you need to be very proficient, and patiently pick your shots very similar to archery hunting.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:54 PM

I take my bow with me anytime I go (muzzleload, rifle). Tomorrow muzzleloader opens in Mississippi and I will be carrying both but don't plan to use the firearm unless it's huge(deer) and is a last resort. I will hold out until the last minute with a bow.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 PM

I do them all. Muzzleloading is my favorite.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 PM

Ive hunted for several years and finally got my first bow kill ( pics are posted here somewhere) I don't think Ill ever use a fire arm again. The kill ment so much more to me. (spiritual level type stuff, sounds weird but it ment a lot to me, just doesn't feel the same with a rifle)
Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is my first season with my new Flintlocker, its a Lyman GPR! I love it! Bowhunting is my true passion!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Of course I hunt with guns, I prefer to use my AK-47,double-barrelled, laser guided, heat seeking shotgun! ANYTHING TO MAKE IT EASIER![:-]
Oh yea, The Thurdy Point Buck. One of my favorite songs.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 FT up 20 yrds out,
You didn’t read it, and you went back and didn't read it again, so I'll post my own words back into this post so that you are able to read what I wrote instead of what you wanted to read and misquote. Be sure to read the last sentence that you must have forgotten to include in your quote;

Quote from page 6 from me (Killer Primate).
Since that time I've killed a number of deer this way, and Passive hunting (which is what most of you are doing) is "easy" by nature, when compared to "active" hunting. Sure passive hunting would be easier to succeed with a gun than with a bow, but from my experience, active hunting with a gun, is much more challenging. In all aspects, whether it be mentally, physically or both. That said, active hunting would also be much more challenging with a bow, but in most cases, it would be impossible.
Unquote

What is so hard for you to understand that?

Here is my point - I'm not suggesting that bow hunting is easier than gun hunting, if you want to leave it at that, and no more details added. I think what I wrote is pretty clear about that. What bothers me is that alarge number of "bow only's" make comments like "guns just don't challenge me any more", or "it's just killing", "too easy"with out thinking about thedifferent ways to hunt. I used the words "easier" and "challenging" because those are the words that these same people are using.

Let's look at easier for a moment - Once you've done all your prep work and scent control, and you've parked you butt inyour stand for a long day of sitting on your rear, would it be easier to pick up your shotgun, get down off the stand and go find the buck that you were hopingwas going to walk past your stand? No!It isn't easier, in fact it isa much moredifficult and challenging. That is why it is called"the lost art of running down deer". It isn't my fault that you haven't learned about it.

You want to justify passive hunting as the most challenging just because youchose a short range weapon, but it isn't. You also want to create the scenerio of a bunch of hunters jumping deerall over the place for you to just shoot at. That isn'tpart of the equation. It is about you, and you alone, hunting. We could"what if" this subject to death. Sitting on you butt all day with a bow, isn't easier than stalking a buck to his bed and killing him with a shotgun. I know, I've done it both ways, more than once. And when I was on the ground, where other hunters might be, and where all these jumped deer were, wasn't part ofwhy Ichose my path. I knew where the particular animal liked to bed, and thought I may try tocatch him there and get him. And I've done it, and it isn't easy. And the people who are suggesting that it is easy haven't. Because if they had, they wouldn't be making stupid statements. It isn't my fault that you are stupid,and if you're going to say stupid things in a public place, be readyfor part of the publicto notice and speak up about it.

There are so many posts in this forum about "what camo is best", "scent control", "scent-loc suit", "being still". Try getting out of the tree. Test out your camo, scent control and see how quiet you are. When you're on the ground walking you'd better be a lot better at all of this stuff, especially playing the wind. But tomorrow morning when you think about what I've said, and you decide to keep your butt in the tree, be honest with your self at least, and agree that your chances are best by staying put, and there is good reason for that.

I sit in stands too, even when gun hunting. But there is a big difference for why. I get in the stand during firearms season when I'm tired from all the stalking and real hard work. I'm then ready to take it "easy"!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:36 PM

I agree Killer Primate, however if you were using a bow with those same scenarios it would be more challenging. Not to take anything away from your post its only my opinion.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Quote from page 6 from me (Killer Primate).
Since that time I've killed a number of deer this way, and Passive hunting (which is what most of you are doing) is "easy" by nature, when compared to "active" hunting. Sure passive hunting would be easier to succeed with a gun than with a bow, but from my experience, active hunting with a gun, is much more challenging. In all aspects, whether it be mentally, physically or both. That said, active hunting would also be much more challenging with a bow, but in most cases, it would be impossible.
Unquote

What is so hard for you to understand that?
If you must ask, then Ishall tell. Follow along now while I examine your words sentence by sentence so it's not so hard for you yourself to understand ok? Following? Alright...

First you said "passive hunting is easy by nature when compared to active hunting"... and I agree.

Next you said "passive hunting would be easier to achieve with a gun than a bow but active hunting with a gun is more challenging" ... and that's where you entered into that great biggrey area. What you think in your head and what little you put into words can greatly differ. You don't mention what type of gun, you don't mention what type of condition, heck for all we know you could be saying that does are harder to kill with a high powered rifle while active hunting than a 200" buck is to kill with a recurve while passive bowhunting. And that, simply is not true. You (operative word here being MIGHT) live in an area where deer comeprancing and frolic about under your stand while you passive bowhunt but that's not the world most of the rest of us here live in.

Finally you said "In all aspects, whether it be mentally, physically or both." ... and once again, we don't know what you've got going on in your head. It's a little redundant but for all we know, you could still be saying that walking around shootin' at does with your 7mm magis more physically and mentally demanding than locating and harvesting a P&Y buck passively with a recurve. Know what killer primate, I can sneak around slowly and cap 4 does from 300 yards away with my 270 before I can take a 130" buck with my hoyt.

And nope, it's not your fault that some people aren't schooled in "the art of running down deer". But by the same token, it's also not my fault that you cannot convey what you feel into simple understandable English.If apicture is worth a thousand words, how do you expect us to see with a few poorly constructed sentences what you picture in your head?

Let me tell you something I overheard in the past that probably applies to you here... "With anything debatable, people are not listening but rather are just waiting their turn to speak."

I make mention of this saying because if you had been listening you'd've seen this that I wrote

ORIGINAL: 20 FT up 20 yds out

(pay attention to the actives and passives here)... I believe that active long range gun hunting ismuch easier than passive bowhunting for reasons beaten to death.
and that's all I'm saying because you left your statement so open to interpretation. Simplify, clarify, exemplify or don't get all petrified when people read your statements as you hastily and recklessly typed them.

Quick Reply: Do you still hunt with guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.