Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nailed by the Game Warden >

Nailed by the Game Warden

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nailed by the Game Warden

Old 11-26-2006, 06:47 AM

Default Nailed by the Game Warden

Nope, nothing horrible I don't think... but hear me out then give me your thoughts:

On Friday the 24th an old friend was visiting family from out of state and called me wanting to go bowhunting. I said fine but do you havea hunting license? He says not yet but I can get one and if not I'll just be your camera man. He calls me later that night and confirms he got a license so weagree for me to pick him up the next morning.

On Saturday morning, I pick him up and we head out. Shortly before we arrive I learn that his definition of "I got a license" is that he borrowed a friend's back tag. Being someone who always makes sure I'm legit with the law, I strongly advised against him doing this. He declines and decides to chance it just this once. Also being a friend of his for 10 years I wasn't going to wrestle him down, tie him up so he couldn't do this, or turn him in to the authorities. Afterall, he is his own man of his own decisions.

Fast forward to meeting the Game Warden... We get down about 10:30 am and head back to the car after seeing nothing. We're both checked and obviously I'm legit but he's not. He tries lying to the Warden but can't repeatthe information on the license correctly. That was when the Warden asked me who he was. Now I'm in a position where I had to choose between sticking up for my friend of 10 years or lying to the Warden as well. I made the wrong (and stupid) move out of loyalty to the friend instead of loyalty to the law. I knew there was no way he was getting out of this but it seemed to me at the time that our friendship was on the line. He was then given a signature test and failed as well. That's whenhe finally fessed up.

We were then taken to the headquarters for further questioning. After what seemed like an eternity of tape recorded interrogation and signed statements, he was slapped with a handful of violations. One for borrowing a license, the other for hunting without a license, and I think the third was for shooting or the intention to shoot deer without a license. The third is considered a crime, which by the way I think is a little overboard and probably arguable in court because he never actually shot anything?

I on the other hand was given a citation of $288.00 for being a "party to a violation". I suppose the real question behind my post hereis whether or not you guys think this was fair and what my chances are at asking the courts for leniency? I've hunted over 10 yearshaving zero trouble with the law but was just put on the spot and came out with the short end of the stick. Also, if anyone kinda knows the law here let me ask you this: The Warden told me I got off easy because he could've cited me for being a party to all of my friend's other violations and that if I was going to dispute my citation then he could've easily treated me with the same regard as my friend. I don't know if this means that if I go to court to ask for leniency that the Warden will then issue me those other citations or not. I don't think that it's legal to issue someone a citation months from now for what they did today but then I'm not a lawyer. Anyone with knowledge of the law with respect to this?

Thanks for listening to this long-winded post. Any response is appreciated.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Nailed by the Game Warden

Sopmetimes we have to learn the hard way ,make your buddy pay your fine.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 AM

whether or not you guys think this was fair
FAIR yes .like you said man of your own actions . pay the fine move on .
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 AM

I'm not gonna sugarcoat this. You were just as wrong as your buddy and deserve every penny of the fine. You both made a conscious decision to let him hunt without a license. Get yer head out of your arse.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:07 AM

FAIR yes .like you said man of your own actions . pay the fine move on .
Lying always bits you.......
Old 11-26-2006, 07:45 AM

Plain and simple, he was poaching and you were a willing a party to it. If you guys would have just told the truth from the get go I bet things would have turned out better.

I would pay the fine and keep your mouth shut, unless you want to hire a lawyer. If you fight it there is a good chance they can take your hunting privilages away for a while and possibly confiscate your weapons.

Your buddy should have just copped to it as soon he was asked and said he borrowed someones tag and not got you involved. If one of my friends had done this they would have made it very clear to the warden I had no knowledge of it just keep me from getting in trouble.

Hunting on someone elses tag is pretty common around here though, but not out of state. I know quite a few people that have thier wives and relatives get tags and they use them. I'm not going to debate the ethics of it, just saying it happens. Being out of state and doing it is a bit scary though, sort of lucky he didn't spend some time in the county jail. Unless you had to pay bail to keep that from happening.

Good luck when you go to court. If you are really worried about it talk to a lawyer in your area.

Paul
Old 11-26-2006, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

Get yer head out of your arse.
I don't think that my head was in my ___ at the time I posted. I also don't think the type of reply you reverted to was called for. There is underlying implication that we discuss this as mature adults. If there is an inability on your part to do so, please do not reply.

I do however appeciate you not sugar coating your response. It is true that I tried to cover for my friend in that one instance. But what would you do, back-stab yours right in front of him? I know that according to the letter of the law I should've turned him in. At that moment though, I didn't know if it would be better character to rat him out and ruin a 10year friendship or go along with the story for his sake.

Fellas, for the record I frown upon such dubiousness as have transpired. I do realize that I am accountable for covering for my friend. My question is no longer whether or not you think this is fair because it is. It is now whether or not you think the court will have any leniency on me considering I've besides this lived by the law. Of course the question remains whether or not the system could cite me a few months from now for past unsought charges.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pay the fine and be thankful they didn't hit you with more. Your "buddy" is a real jerk for putting you in a situation like that, but you are just as guilty for going along. Live and learn. You could have had your guns taken and license revoked for that stuff. I think I'd have a little discussion with your friend. Your loyalty seems to run deeper than his. Would you have put him in the situation he had no problem putting you in?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:52 AM

I'll stick by what I said. You had your head firmly wedged. It's pretty funny actually. You want to talk about this as a mature adult when in reality, your own actions of knowingly taking your buddy hunting without a license is pretty immature and stupid. Get a grip. You could have turned the vehicle around at any time, but YOU CHOSE to go hunting in an illegal manner anyway, so therefore you had your head up your arse. You got what you deserved all the way around.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks Paul L Mohr. I was still typing my last response while you posted and asked a question you sorta answered. I take it by what you said that the state can turn around and seek "party to" all those other violations if I fight this correct? Thing is though, I don't want to fight it. I just want to ask for a reduction of the fine and will even do things like community service to make up for it. Of course if I even ask this, someone might get so offended that those other charges will then be sought. It would still be helpful if someone here knew exactly what the law read but I don't suppose we have any hunter lawyers here.

It kinda sucks when you're just trying to be good friend then have to be put on the spot and have to make a decision all the while being a law abiding citizen otherwise.

Quick Reply: Nailed by the Game Warden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.