Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone ever fallen in a climber or know someone who has? >

anyone ever fallen in a climber or know someone who has?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone ever fallen in a climber or know someone who has?

Old 11-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone ever fallen in a climber or know someone who has?

mobowhuntr I put an extra strap around the seat to prevent that but i agree always wear a harness its to easy to slip and fall
Old 11-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

wow,sounds like I better start using a harness.I`m 33 and still in good shape and athletic so I trust myself to be able to do things I sometimes shouldnt do.The last thing I need is for that to cause an injury,if I did survive mywife would kill me.I went to the wallmart today,they clearance all the archery equipment this time of year,and they had one ameristep harness left and it was only 24.99,I have an ameristep ground blind and I know they make decentequipment but it didnt look very comfortable,in fact it looked like something that I would end up replacing with better gear in a month or so,I hate that.I like to have the best.Having said that which 2 or 3 names should I look for? -thanks again
Old 11-25-2006, 04:47 PM

HSS - Hunter Safety System vest. They make a great vest that has the harness integrated within it. There are other good ones, but this would be a great place to start.

Look on the cabelas or bass pro shops web site. They have several for your viewing pleasure. You don't have to buy from them, but it is a nice place to go see what most manufacturers have to offer.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

Get a safety harnass my GOD!!! Jesus loves archers but he won't protect crazy ones!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:36 PM

The harness is a must. Also, think about your technique when using the climber. It's easy to get in a hurry climbing or descending, especially if you're a bit late hitting the woods and want to get up the tree before daybreak. Each time you move one of the climbing sections, put your weight on it gradually until you're sure it's holding. If you put all your weight on it at once (as in: in a hurry) and it fails, you're hurt.

I've been using an API since 1996 or so and the only time I ever had a failure was when I was descending. I had to take a crap real bad and might have been in a bit of a hurry. The foot platform slipped, and I was hanging by my safety strap in the blink of an eye.

My API really bites a tree. I don't know if the new APIs use the same design, but mine has triangular teeth, which are also beveled.

Good luck and be careful.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

has anyone ever thaught of sharpening the teeth on the climber? When I put the pack straps on and start my trudge the teeth are are always digging into the back of my legs with every step,this is the only reason I didnt immediately do this,but I`m sure with a little ingenuity I could resolve this problem and get a better grip on the tree right?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't wear a harness for the first few years I hunted. I now have a wife and a little girl that I want to be able to play with and enjoy growing old with the wife. If I forget my harness I hunt from the ground that day. I fall asleep in the stand too much and wake-up trying to catch myself!
Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had a brand new climber collapse(catasropic stand failure)and drop me upside down from about 12 feet as I was climbing. It was a Loggy Bayou that they pulled from the market almost before it hit it. I had bought mine at a big show before they hit the stores. It had composite arms that all exploded. They wouldn't make it right either, but that's a long story. Fortunately I had on a safety belt. Get a harness or you'll die or get hurt or something. I had another kick out in the rain on a slick tree before there were hand climbers, safety belts or anything. It was a fast hard slide that busted my arrows and took all the skin off my arms, chin and face. It hurt SOOOOOOOooooooooo bad. That was in the days of hugging the tree and pulling your Baker up behind you.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to use the safety system while climbing and descending the tree, not just when you get up.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, I slid down 20' long story.

Sounds like you bought a loggy. If that's the case, do get a safety system. I don't however use one while climbing. Only if it's wet. You learn how the tree stand reacts to certain what tree types. I haven't seen the need. I do strap in at lock in height.