Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunters Safety System vest question >

Hunters Safety System vest question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters Safety System vest question

Old 11-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters Safety System vest question

I upgraded this year to a harness from the old belt style and wound up going with the Fast Back. I didn't like the idea of the vest because of all the material of a vest system. The Fast Back doesn't have the bulkiness of the vest but is very easy to get into without tangles and a big clump of seat belt material to sort out. I love it....comfortablel, easy to get into, and quiet. I use it with a Prusik knot system I attach at the base of the tree to a rope that is attached above stand level - only makes sense to be secured from the ground up and then back again. Whatever your decision for a harness, I would suggest the complete climging system of a Prusik knot or climbing ascender attached to a rope that from the base of the tree to your stand.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the HSS vest about 3 years ago and hated it so much I probably haven't used it more than half a dozen times. This year I got the SOP and like it much better.

In my opinion HSS could have found some lighter, less bulky, and substantially strong buckles for the crotch area. Then I think I could have tolerated it.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:58 PM

I love the hunter safety system, i just bought it about a month ago and havn't had any problems. My jacket doesn't have a hood but so i really like it. I'm only 14 and being in the stand is really comfortable unless you feel safe.

Trophy Taker
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Sorry about the spelling

its really uncomfortable in the stand unless you feel safe and i ment i dont have a hood so i dont have any problems with that.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have looked at and tried on all of the harnesses listed at the shop, we have them all. I ended up buying the Loggy Bayou transformer. It is much lighter, less bulky, easier to put under stuff, cheaper, and comes w/ the linemans belt setup as well as the built in bino strap system. It also has available accessories that are modular such as a fanny pack, quiver, misc pouches, etc. I like mine so much I wear it even when I am not in a tree because of the bino harness and it keeps my bulky clothes in close to me. Plus it's cheaper than most of the others.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Rick, I have seen that Loggy Transformer vest/harness. It does look like it might be a winner. Thanks for all the info and opinions guys, its been a big help. I think I am narrowing it down to the Summit system, Loggy Transformer, or the regular Loggy harness. I tried it on and it was pretty decent and looks easy to keep untangled.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:18 PM

If you wear it under your jacket, though, you won't be able to reach the pockets on it, especially the ones on the side. You can put the tether strap out the top, but if you move forward at all, the jacket will be pulled back, something I'm sure no one wants in 0 degree weather! I'm 6' 4", so the system is a little further down my back than most peoples', and the tether strap connects a little below my shoulder blades, so any garment over it is not very comfortable. I always wear mine on the outside: easy access to all pockets, no need for carryin a gear bag, and no "popped collars."
Old 11-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

What pa hardwoods said. he said it word for word what i was going to say.
Dan
ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

I don't know what you guys are talking about not being able to wear a jacket over the vest? I wear mine all of the time underneath my jacket with the teather sticking out of the top of my jacket by my collar. The part I didn't like was the strap that attaches to the tree. So I just used the rope with the prussic knot and the caribiner that came with my summit treestand, it makes for an easier hookup to the tree for my liking.

HCH, the newer Hunter safety system harnesses do come with a linemans hookups on the vest. I do agree the sop harness is a good harness too but I just lthink the HSS is easier and quicker to put on. I love mine.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Dang, HCH….it seems we disagree on all equipment issues. I have the Summit SOP and I don’t care for it one bit. Different strokes.

I’ll be switching to the HSS pro mesh, next season. I like to wear my harness under my camo jacket. A lot of you pointed out that that can be a problem if your jacket has a hood. It can also rub your neck raw and be cumbersome on stand.

In field testing the new Enigma line of camo….I suggested to Chuck (the owner) that he incorporate a grommet in the back of the jacket to allow for a tether strap to pass through. Future models will incorporate this option (upon request). I think GERM ordered his with just this option, already. This will make a LOT of hunters happy and keep us more comfortable on stand…..while NOT sacrificing the safety of a full body harness.

Contact Chuck @ Enigma if you’re interested in something like this.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

If anyone hears of the Pro Mesh being on sale (end of season)....let me know. I'd like to go ahead and pick one up.

jeff

Quick Reply: Hunters Safety System vest question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.