Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 starting to hate gun season >

starting to hate gun season

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

starting to hate gun season

Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 AM

Default starting to hate gun season

Typical, I see deer every day during archery season. Open season for rifle started Saturday and so far I have seen 1 deer and it was a good view of its rear end at about 50mph running away from me. Not to mention the 10 guys I saw wearing orange tresspassing and they were either from NJ or staten island. How do these people even find the nerve to hunt someone's land like this? I just don't get it
Old 11-22-2006, 06:00 AM

Default RE: starting to hate gun season

Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 PM

just think how lucky you were to get to hunt it first with a bow. thats what makes bowhunting better, u get to go first!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not to mention the 10 guys I saw wearing orange tresspassing and they were either from NJ or staten island. How do these people even find the nerve to hunt someone's land like this? I just don't get it
What you don't get is those 10 guys weren't hunters. They were armed tresspassers. They'd each be up on a felony rap in Texas.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Host of Hosts

Although I understand about your trespasser troubles and can't stand people who knowingly break game laws. The wardens around here I've spoken with say that 85% of the trespassing violations they investigate are due to the landowner not properly posting their land. Not that it makes it alright, but it helps when the land is posted properly.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:01 AM

Please don't generalize gun hunters as being slob law breaking hunters. I know plenty of bow hunters that trespass and poach just the same. The weapon does not make the hunter. I get really tired of the elitest attitude some bow hunters have. I have known some fine gun hunters, and some very unethical bow hunters.

As a matter of fact most of the bow hunters I know with that attitude really are not that great of hunters, they just think they are special because they decided to bow hunt. Most likely because someone told them they were better because of it. When the truth is they are not very successfull and usually don't shoot thier bow very well. Not all, but I see it often enough. And the guys that are good bow hunters and practice often just don't have that mind set.

I understand your frustration with gun season, more people come out so you see more of the bad things happening. However your season is over and a new one has begun. Your mad at the hunters, but in reality you are upset because your season is over. Just be glad you can still bow hunt in gun season if you choose.

As far as people being on your land, well post it and turn them in! We are having problems on the land I hunt as well. Not just with hunters, but with people on thier quads ripping the property up. I hate those damn things. I park a half mile from where I hunt and walk in. When I get there the woods look like a motor cross track. Next year we are posting signs that state you can't be there without written permision. I'm thinking of puting a small wire fence around the woods as well, or putting spikes down on the trails. I need to check the legalities of that though.

I will agree though, you tend to see more idiots during gun season.

Paul