Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need some opinions or answrs here >

Need some opinions or answrs here

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some opinions or answrs here

Old 11-20-2002, 03:26 AM

Default Need some opinions or answrs here

How do you truly identify a constant bedding area. How large are "bedding areas??" Were do you typically find them? 10 yds from he feeding area 200? Just looking for some thoughts on bedding areas.......Thanks for reading.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some opinions or answrs here

Bedding areas can be almost anywhere the deer feel safe. their is no set distance. You will know you found one when you find tons of dropings, and lots of "flat" impressions in the leaves or ground. Most bedding areas are going to be in thick cover, or the sides of steep ridges, at least that has been my findings.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 11-20-2002, 05:11 AM

as 5shot said where they feel safe,I have found deer usually will take a dump when they get up to move around or feed. so when you find an area with a lot of droppings,you don't want to hunt there. hunt the edges of that area.if you hunt there beeding area they will move.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:34 AM

Yep, that's what I have noticed to. I've even got a place in one of my fields (about 8 acres big) on the side of a hill that an 8 pointer is using to bed with a doe. It's nothing more than some waist high grass and a few thorn trees with a 5 acre patch of heavy mature cedars only 40 yards away. But that patch of cedars is home to a bunch of deer and I guess he feels safer keeping that doe away from the other deer. Anyway large (10 feet across) areas of flattened grass with deer dodo and heavily used trails leading to them is what I look for. Then I figure out which trails they are going to use to get to water and then I set up an ambush spot along that trail. The deer around here seem to want to get a drink as soon as they get up because it's been so dry here. I've gotten pretty close doing that.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found bedding areas almost anywhere (like 5-shot say where they feel safe). Places I usually don't find them include mowed fields, in the middle of hardwoods (you will find them near fallen trees however in hardwoods). Around here in NY, I would start looking around goldenrod fields, small pines, fallen trees, marshy areas that have bushes or briars. I found one this year in a thorn patch, the only way in was for the deer to back in like a warhog, it was well used. Hope that helps.