Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Primos Buck Roar=Success >

Primos Buck Roar=Success

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Primos Buck Roar=Success

Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Primos Buck Roar=Success

I went to to the store last week to buy a new grunt call and stumbled onto the MAD Growl. It got me interested but like others it was easy to sound like a duck and very tricky to sound like a buck. I then noticed the Primos Buck Roar and how much easier this call was to sound very realistic. Purchase made.

I bought it right before rifle season and didnt bother using it at first. I like to hunt structure and be quiet but occasionally i get the itch.Duringan eveninghunt over a food plotI heard what sounded like a lion roaring behind my stand in cedar thicket.I recognized it as the very aggressive roar/growl from the instructional video w/ the call. It made my heart stop and then buck fever set in like never before. And to thinkI hadn't even seenthe buck. The buck/s made the call several more times. I got out the call out and called a few times. Nothing happened except a bobcat came into the field spooking the does, turkeys, and every squirrel for a mile. Evening over! I did come back to the cabin and reviewed the instructional video that came with the call. The sound i heard was indeed the buck roar. Unbelievable!!

Next Day: I setup my favorite rut stand. Its in a funnel created by several steep ditches running off the top of a ridge filled with cedars and plenty of bedding cover. The deer tend to bed to the west and a food plot is located to the east. 8 o'clock came and nothing happened. I decided to get out the buck roar. I made a few soft grunts. Threw in a few doe bleats and mixed in a a couple timely roars. No sooner thanI put down the call and picked up gun, I watched a 2 1/2 seven pter walk out of the bedding area searching for the sounds. He circled downwind trying to find the action but realized he made a mistake he slowly made his way back whre he came from. The second time I had used the call and it had worked like a charm. He wasnt a shooter but maybe next year.

Two days later: Morrning hunt in the previously mentioned food plot (1 day priorI had a shooter walk by before legal shooting hours). Around 730amI start to hear two bucks fighting behind the stand in the same thicketI heard the buck roar three days earlier. The bucks were really going at it. The fighting seems to stop after ten minutes. I let things calm down and then get out the buck roar. I didnt mix n any bleats this time just a few grunts and then some buck roars. I put down the call and wait. Five minutes later i hear careless footsteps behind me. Then the unmistakable sound of antlers coming thru brush. I look over my right shoulder and I see a beautiful buck sneaking in with his ears back. As he gets close to the food plot and he stops twice to check things out. When he stops the second time to locate the sound he came to investigate I put a well placed shot into his vitals at 15 yards. The call had worked again.

I must add that we had heard the buck roar call in the woods once and heard bucks fighting on 3 succesive days that week. It seems the time was definitely right to use this call. It probably wont work all the time but heres the pic to show it does work once in a while.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Primos Buck Roar=Success

Congrats drhntr178 thats a nice buck.
I don`t own a buck roar call or anything like it (call me sceptic)
But after reading some of you guys success story`s i will most definitely be owning one! Its just another one of those things like a grunt call it doesn`t work all the time but when it does? It`sAwesome!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story. Nice deer as well.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great work on the buck,i guess i might have to go out and get one of those calls as well.