Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Primos Buck Roar

Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Primos Buck Roar

I think I am goign to try out the new buck roar from Primos. I have been filming with a good friend of mine that had a combo call (snort weez / grunt) and I have seen it work . When I went to get one I could never find what I was looking for. From the looks of things the Buck Roar just might fit the bill. They sure used alot in the newest Bowhunting video with great success.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Primos Buck Roar

I have the Primos and the MAD version, seems that the MAD sounds better and I'm getting better results
Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny how opinions can vary so greatly???

I also bought both the Growl and the Roar and especially side by side in the timber, the ROAR sounded far more realistic and closerto any of the footage on either companies video. The addition of the built-in snort wheeze makes calling sessions sound incredible! I plan on having it with me at all times while in the deer woods.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can make the same types of sounds with any grunt call - grunt louder and longer.

WAY TOO MUCH emphasis is put on the "realness" of the sounds. Just like humans, deer all have different tones and make a crazy-variety of "calls". I've had WAY MORE sucess using my own voice when calling as-oposed to calls. It just sounds more natural.

Calls are like rattling antlers, sometimes you will get the right buck, with the right attitude, and he'll come running like he's gonna kill! Other times, they don't want anything to do with it. Nothing works all the time - but these "Roar" calls are a joke IMHO.....
Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried out the Roar and MAD versions as well, and IMO I prefer the Roar. Even though the call is known for having the roar, there are many different sounds that can be acheived with it. Even if you want to use it as a simple grunt tube, it does a great job. I like the reed on it, as it seems more fool proof than others, meaning if you don't blow hard enough or blow too hard it still works for the most part... which is good especially for the beginner or someone who wants a "reliable performing"tube in the heat of the moment. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a house in PA in a lake community, no hunting at all but loaded with deer. This iswhere I test the calls, and scents to see what works. This past year I heard the snort wheeze alot, and got both calls out, they both worked, but the MAD call worked better on the mature bucks
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the MAD call was too easy to sound "ducky" with... although it's got a great regular grunt. I might buy the Primos one just so I'll have the snort wheeze coupled with it. What the heck? I've bought every other gadget to come down the pike...