Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever heard a buck "Growl" while hunting? >

Have you ever heard a buck "Growl" while hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - I've heard a buck growl before.
28.09%
Nope. Never heard one.
71.91%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever heard a buck "Growl" while hunting?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Have you ever heard a buck "Growl" while hunting?

Just curious how many of you have ever actually heard a real "buck growl" while hunting. I know I haven't.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:51 AM

Default RE: Have you every heard a buck "Growl" while hunting?

No. More marketing hype to remove more dollars from my wallet on a product that ends up in the bottom of my hunting box never to see the light of day again.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

No I have not. I think they just started doing it last year so the call makers had something to do in the off season. HAHA
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I thought I never had until I bought the MAD Growl call. Now I guess I have heard it before. I always thought it was a duck making that sound.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really suprised at how many HAVE heard it. I wonder how many of those guys actually heard another hunter with a Buck Growl call? I think you could hunt your entire life and never hear that sound but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:47 AM

I bought the Primos Roar and it comes with a mini DVD. After watching the DVD, I realized that I have heard it several times. To meit just kinda sounds likea loud, aggressive grunt. Used mine the first time on the opening day of our firearms season. About 8:00 I tried it and about a minute later I smoked a 4 1/2 year old 8 pt at 50 yards. He came in looking.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

A few years ago I was bored in stand and started blowing into my grunt tube. Low and behold I heard something grunt back at me. I waited, nothing...I grunted again, it grunted back. I figured it was another hunter, so I grunted and it grunted back, had to be another hunter. Well I got frustrated and blew very loudly into the tube, the next thing I know I heard my first growl and snort weeze followed by a nice buck chasing a doe through the swamp about 40 yards from me. Didn't think much about it until recently when I seen the Drury's promoting their call...THAT WAS THE SOUND I HEARD. Over30 years hunting, heard it once.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 AM

My dad saw a 130" buck this year and it was chasing a doe making a sound he never heard before. He said it sounded different than just a normal grunt. I bought the buck roar and showed him my dvd that came with it and he said that's the exact sound he heard. I think that a lot more people have heard it and just thought it to be a grunt.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I think that a lot more people have heard it and just thought it to be a grunt.
Momighymite i think you may be right?
We have all heard all kinds of noise`s out there and just made out to be what we thought it is? When in fact it`s something all together different?

Old 11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think I ever heard it until after I bought the call. I know thats very ironic but it happened. Here's the link to the story: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1812190

For those of you who have seen the instructional dvd, the call i heard was the same one that smaller buck makes when chasing off those bucks from the wounded/shot doe in estrous. And the sound the buck from pike county illinois made (guy sent in home video to MAD Calls). It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

If you watch the video some growls/roars are very aggressive more like a roar and some are subtle like a growl. I definitely heard the roar.

Quick Reply: Have you ever heard a buck "Growl" while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.