Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A wild & successful weekend  pics (sorta long) >

A wild & successful weekend pics (sorta long)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A wild & successful weekend pics (sorta long)

Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A wild & successful weekend pics (sorta long)

Well guys, I was all packed up on Friday to head to NW oklahoma for the opening of rifle season (where I carry my bow... and a rifle). The previous weekend I had 11 bucks under my stand and the two big bucks never presented themself. Anyway, after work I headed home to meet a buddy and this is when I received the phone call. Evidently the landowner of the property we were hunting decided to lease out the property for thetwo week gun season and we weren't allowed until after December 3rd.

That sucked pretty bad, but about 2 minutes later I received a call from my buddy in Texas and said that he had gotten off work for Saturday and for me to head South... so I did. We generally don't shoot bucks on his property unless they are monsters. Well after a long drive and several cold beers I decide that I'm going to hunt out of a tri-pod stand (because it was all of a 4 minute walk from the house)and test out the new rifle I received for college graduation. At this point I heard some whining coming from my bow case, so I went to check it out. After a short talk with my TrykonI decided that him and "Ruger" could both go out in the morning. Then the Razortec started complaining so I took him outside and put him in the truck.

I settle in the Tripod about 30 minutes before day break and for some "unknown" reason fall asleep with my head on the gun rest. I'm woken up that noise that Sandhill cranes make... I'm not even going to try to type how it sounds. Anyway I catch movement out over a really big grass field, it turns out to be a nice doe at about 250 yards. I put the crosshairs on the crease behind her shoulder... and thenI couldn't do it... it just didn't seem fair, it was too easy. I put "Ruger" up and he was not happy with me.

As I enjoyed the sunrise I saw another doe walking through the mesquite towards me. I picked up the Trykon and stood up. As she walked behind the last mesquite I came to full draw, she stopped and my slick trick zipped through both of her lungs, and 40 yards later she crashed into the briars. She weighed 110lb live weight and we didn't weigh her dressed out.

After some lunch, football, and a nap my buddy and I got dressed and headed back out in search of pigs, coyotes and other varmints. He decided he was going to hunt with his bow for the first and would take a doe as well if given the opportunity. We sat in a spot that deer funnel through to eat at the fields in the evenings. I climbed about 7 feet into a giant oak tree because I didn't have anywhere to sit and he sat on a stool behind the big tree so he could draw without being seen. About 30 minutes into the hunt I hear a light footed "crunch" and I look slowly back to my left only to see a very large bobcat at 10 yards. I wasn't able to see mike from my position and there was no way I could move. I was trying to get my camera on video mode but that wasn't happening. All the sudden I see an arrow fly but I couldn't tell it went through or just over the top. The big cat jumped about 8 feet and sat down facing parallel to us. I (very) quickly surveyed him and decided that he had not been hit... I touched the trigger and he flopped over dead. Mike in all the excitement and somehow forgot to look throug his peep site and shot over the back of the big cat. It was a really cool hunt to say the least, the cat is now at the taxidermist and will be made into a rug.

Here's the cat.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:57 PM

Default RE: A wild & successful weekend pics (sorta long)

Nicely done, sir! Nicely done!!! Hey, is that the BDU shirt you're wearing?? I've got to get me one of those.....
Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great weekend dwd, Sorry I missed your call in NC, we were having way too much fun. We'll talk soon.

Great photos and mobow, yeah, that's the BDU. I thought I wanted the Bowhunter Jacket but I'm really liking my BDU.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Very nice cat and I really love that second pic, nice doe as well. Congrats to ya!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun.

Mowbo, I LOVE my bdu. I wear it everywhere.

Rob, no biggie, glad you guys were having fun!

BM, That's my favorite pic too. My buddy's sister just sent me some more I'm giong to post those now.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 PM

Congrats. Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend. I've never even seen a bobcat in the wild. Sounds like a cool experience.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM

Very nice Dustin, Congratulations. 2 animals in one day it doesn't get much better than that. Now get out there and get something with that stickbow of yours!!! By the way how do you like the BDU field shirt with the zipper chest pockets? I have one of the first ones with the regular chest pockets. I like the regular pockets but I think I would like the zipper pockets better. It just gives me peace of mind that they would never grab my bowstring. Now that said I have shot my bow with my BDU field shirt on with the regular pockets and I have not once had my bowstring catch on my pockets. I guess it's just one of those peace of mind things. I actually suggested to Chuck that he angle the recular pockets to give them even more clearance.