Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gun Hunting

Old 11-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun Hunting

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Hey, I don't take meds. I just copy and paste the man's post. He said it, I didn't. On one hand he talks about being macho buck hunter and in another thread he talks about shooting bambi rather than come up dry. It's an awful web we weave. He says it's unfair that someone else shot a deer and he didn't. He says I did this, I did that and they did nothing. I'm not sure he knows they did nothing. Hunting is not rocket science. Some people have a knack... and some don't. Some SEEM to be luckier than others. Life's like that. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Congratulate the successful, don't find fault with them. Usually they've done something right.... even if they didn't know it. 6 bucks over 16 inches onopening weekendISN'T an accident or luck in my mind. Especially since these same deer have avoided our mighty hunter for weeks. Someone on the other side of the fence knows something we all could probably stand to figure out. Maybe I do need meds, I think the guy on the other side of the fence is probably one hell-uf-a hunter. I'm tired of people calling successful repeathunters... LUCKY. I'm tired of people blaming other people for their lack of success or trying to criticize the success of others. Real Hunters do their thing, not to please me or you but for themselves. DO you want them to not pull the trigger because you missed? Deer are not owned until they're dead.
Now this make sense! Very well put!!!
I agree 100 with the bold print!

Old 11-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take care all..I'm off to Deer Camp Friday AM for a week of Gun Hunting. That's alright isn't it?? Come on tell me what you really think..!!!

Sorry just giddy with vacation coming up..thought I'd stir the pot! Heck maybe with the replies this will still be at the top when I return! Shoot Straight and Be safe..above all else..Have fun and enjoy the Outdoors!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Take care all..I'm off to Deer Camp Friday AM for a week of Gun Hunting. That's alright isn't it?? Come on tell me what you really think..!!!

Sorry just giddy with vacation coming up..thought I'd stir the pot! Heck maybe with the replies this will still be at the top when I return! Shoot Straight and Be safe..above all else..Have fun and enjoy the Outdoors!
Pile'm up Ohioian.Hope all goes well!Saw a bunch of dads and kids getting their tags today in a local store. Day was so so up till then. Still feel good.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a bow, a shot-gun and a rifle. Normally I hunt the same exact way that I would hunt with a bow. My area is very thick and the shots for the most part are the same. Of course there have been deer that I've taken that I wouldn't have had a shot on with a bow, but to me that doesn't take away from the hunt.
When a deer walks out in plain sight of you at close range (Mainly due to preparation) and you didn't hear him coming, it doesn't matter what weapon you have. You're probably holding binoculars and wishing you were holding your weapon. You have to set down whatever it is you're holding, pick up your weapon, turn off the safety/or draw your bow and pick your shot if you have one. And be able to execute the kill. My stands are permanent and the deer use them (hopefully) no matter what weapon I brought.
Some of you act as if your opinion is fact - it isn't. Here are a few ways to test your skills as a "blast'em-up gun hunter";
1. Two man stalk - Take a friend or preferably a child in the woods, find a fresh set of tracks that lead to a location that you think have deer for that time of day, and try to sneak in there and get a good shot on one. This is a great way to keep a child occupied and interested in hunting, and spending time with you while you hunt instead of being at home in front of the TV, while you hunt. Great bonds are made during these hunts and I can tell you this, it is harder than bow hunting/trail watching from a stand.
2. Dog/man stalk - Same as above, but with one dog, that doesn't run deer. It knows what it is looking for, and knows that his job is - to lead you to them and quietly. This is the second year that I will be doing this and haven't gotten a deer with this method. We're both new to this approach,and knew it would take a few years to practice, but I love my dog, he's a part of my family, I want to hunt with him. And not because it is easy. Last year I took him to try to find an eight pointer that I'd shot with my bow the evening before. During the tracking process we heard an unusual noise coming from up high on the hill that we were following the deer sign up. At that moment, I realized that the noise had come from my wounded deer, who surprisingly wasn't dead.My dogrealized it too! He immediately started to sneak very quietly and the hair on his neck stood straight up. It was hard to get him to call off the chase to let the deer die. Man and dog, side by side hunting as one unit - pretty cool if you ask me, but I'm a dog lover. It is new and exciting, and more challenging, which is noteworthy to mention inthis conversation, since that is all some of you "strictly bow only hunters" are preaching.
3. Will breaking stalk - this is where you stalk an animal over great distances. You'll need to have access to a lot of land and snow definitely helps. Over the course of the stalk, the animal learns that you are stalking him. Each time you see each other, he learns that he hasn't been harmed. Eventually he'll let you get closer and closer, as he is becoming curious about his stalker and the persistence is something he's never experienced before. Eventually you will break his will and you'll get a shot, but probably not with a bow, and it will take all day. If you are physically, emotionally and mentally ready, you might have success. It isn't easy.

I've killed a few good bucks with a bow and a couple of doe. I love to have a bow in the early season. But the absolute worst thing about bow hunting, is being mistakenly identified/associated with the "holier than thou, strictly bow hunter" types!

You can't judge a person by what weapon they carry. You can and will form opinions about others and that is fine, but I am the same man, with the same ethics no matter how, where or what I hunt. I do know some pretty lousy hunters, and most of them are gun hunters, but I also know some pretty bad bow hunters. Some that never have luck and then place blame on those darn gun hunters, out there being successful and all... Read the original post, this guy is one of them! He did all he could do to get one of these bucks and it didn't happen. He was out there for hours and hours, days and days, blah, blah, blah... How much of a head start do you need? Don't blame them, they sat and waited for weeks (in most states) while you hunted you behind off. But, I agree it is their fault you were unsuccessful, and now, because of them, all the good bucks are gone.
Instead of reflecting on the good times you had in the woods and figuring out what to do next, you jump up and down and throw a tantrum, you can't take the failure. And that is what it is - failure! But only to you, in your mind. What would you have done if you were successful? Take a picture and show it off? Post it here? Butcher the animal clean? Mount it? Tell all your friends? Brag? All of the above? Out of all these things I mentioned, actually being in the woods hunting sounds the funniest to me, and you got to spend a lot of time doing it. We all have these seasons. Guess what - if you were able to kill a big buck every time you entered the woods, it wouldn't take long for you to get tired of it, and not return. And the longer you have to wait, the better it will be when the day comes. There are many ways to be successful whilehunting. You need to figure out how many ways exist for you. Yesterday evening I was lucky enough to have oneof my all time favorite hunts, and here is what happened - I shot a four point buck with a 30.06. Wow, I can hear your enthusiasm coming through the internet! But here is why - this was my seven year old daughters first ever hunt. We had talked about all the different ways to hunt, deer management, what they eat, where they sleep, hunting pressure, where their paths are and so on. We decided (mainly her) that we would take the first legal deer (which had to be a buck) that had four or more points. After spending a few quality hours alone with my second child of four (individual time is prime time when you have four kids) this fine animal presented itself for our taking. I showed her the deer from our little pop-up blind and asked her if she still wanted to shoot it. A few seconds later a shot rang out, and she had her deer. To my surprise, my little girly-girl wasn't upset (at least not as much as I expected). She, our dog and myself found the deer about twenty yards from where he was shot. Soon she and the dog were home and I was happy to be getting some good venison. I wouldn't have changed anything about yesterdays hunt. And you want to talk about challenging - try keeping a seven year old and an Australian Cattle Dog still while you sit in a tiny little pop-up blind! Last Saturday was my ten year old son's first day of the season. We didn't see one deer, but we got to have some good times together, and we're going again soon. The next person in line is my five year old daughter. Many of you are probably saying "what kind of chance do you think you'll have". My answer is - I've got a very good chance at having a great time if I don't set my self up for failure. And a great way to do that is to define success with a big mature buck to brag about. We'll eat candy, talk, play, maybe take a nap and hopefully get a deer for this young lady.
In a few years, my youngest son will also be going. Just so you know, I do havea job, so I don't have a great deal of time to be hunting, you know while also being a father, husband and provider. So most of my hunts will be like this, at least for a while.
I've never done a man drive, but I've been thinking about studying it, so that when my kids are finally old enough to sit by themselves, I might be able to increase their odds by driving deer to them! Now aren't I a terrible hunter!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate
I've never done a man drive, but I've been thinking about studying it, so that when my kids are finally old enough to sit by themselves, I might be able to increase their odds by driving deer to them! Now aren't I a terrible hunter!
No way man! It's a family affair! Great storie!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Dominant Buck

GR8atta2nd: I hope you put the smack on the big one. I went to NY last week to gun hunt a couple days. What did I do, I failed.[8D] I got there 2 days early to do some scouting on the local golf courses. Got in 18 Thursday, 18 Friday. We all decided we weren't shooting anything unless it was the biggest we'd ever seen. WhY??? Because we didn't want to mess with it. We left the woods opening morning at 9:30 and went to the golf course. It was cold, but with our long johns on and all that.... it was a great day of NON-Success in the woods.[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D] Had a ball and laughed entirely too much. We got back to the hotel in time to watch Ohio St./Michigan and then the conclusion of Cinncinatti/Rugers. It was a wonderful day. Oh, we forgot to go back to the woods. I came home Sunday AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there is an open season and I have a tag left I am out there.The choice of weapon is dependant upon what season is open of course and also how animals are responding to hunting pressure and what locations I think my chances are best in.I love to bow hunt,but I also love to rifle hunt.Consistent success does not come without effort regardless of what weapon is used.If someone is consistently killing top end deer with a firearm I guarantee that hunter is fully capable of consistently killing big deer with archery equipment,provided they practice.A good hunter is a good hunter!Actually that lends itself to what I believe to be a truism,woodmanship and knowing your quarry is what gets the job done! Plain and simple! If you don't want to use a particular weapon don't,that is a personal decision,just as is the hunting method you choose to use.If something isn't challenging or rewarding enough for you,choose another method.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

zubba..you need to kill something to take away your pain...howzabout a doe or a spike....your rack crazy and its killin ya.....Youve seen 12 bucks and aint Kilt one?? tsk tsk tsk...and you want to call yourself a hunter????? Howbout I send you some backstrap ta go with that cheeze and whine??

Old 11-22-2006, 09:40 PM

i know how you feel i love to gun hunt and i scouted for the hole year every chance i got. and i had a nice 10 pointer walking by my stand and first day of gun season i heard a loud shot from the neibor. that night i whent over and the 10 pointer i had been seeing was hanging from the raptors
Old 11-22-2006, 09:46 PM

we are going gun hunting next week and i think i might be the only one at camp that is bringing a bow. im going to bow hunt the first day and if i dont get one then im going to gun hunt and then kill one with my bow, i want to get one with my bow so bad.

Quick Reply: Gun Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.