Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Post and PreSeason Scouting? >

Post and PreSeason Scouting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post and PreSeason Scouting?

Old 11-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Post and PreSeason Scouting?

Usually when I go to set up my stand for the season, I look for an area that has good sign(trails, and rubs usually), but this year I only saw one mature buck. I am going to take scouting a lot moreserious because I know people have seen more mature bucks in the area I hunt. When do you guys start your scouting? I have heard that people start right after the seaon. Others start in the spring and some wait till late summer. I want to do some scouting all year, but dont know what to look for during the different times of the year. Where are good places to look for bucks in the winter spring and fall. What sign do I look for in winter(just trails)? and are those trails the same ones they will use during the season?I am also going to buy a trail camera to see what deer are on the property.If you guys can just give me your scouting techniques(per season is possible)that would help a lot.Thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:16 PM

Default RE: Post and PreSeason Scouting?

I like to start scouting once we get a good snow.

Its easy to follow well used trails into food sources and bedding areas then. Once it snows, I'll go out one, maybe two weekends a month until mid-July, then I'm out every weekend until late August.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Washington said right after the season ends and there is snow on the ground you can get an idea of where they are traveling at least late in the season . Then do some scouting later when there are leaves on the trees to see how they are traveling other times .A trail camera is a great idea to help see whats there and their pattern
Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

right after the season is over. Its best with snow. check for trails and this years rub lines. I do a lot of road scouting and glassing in the summer but i do not scout in the summer execpt to hang stands.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replys. I'm looking forward to some serious scouting this year.