Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Post Season Scouting? >

Post Season Scouting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post Season Scouting?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Post Season Scouting?

So, what are the steps you take in post season scouting besides shed hunting? I am going to do a lot of scouting my properties after season closes Jan 31, and I am just curious what you guys look for. This is my 3rd year hunting this property and I have yet to properly scout it after season. Any ideas and or tactics would be appreciated. This includes you "GregH". [:-]

Thanks, LT
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Post Season Scouting?

Look for concentrations of rubs. This indicates a buck or multiple bucks spent a good deal of time there. Also follow rub lines, they are easy to see now, and they can lead you to a bucks core bedding area.

Scrapes are easy to see now too. I don't imagine they are covered with snow in LA. They can also show you a bucks travel pattern and places you might intercept him next year.

With the leaves off of the trees you can also see the topography of the woods better too. Look for funnels that restrict deer movement. Old fences, ditches, steep hills that the deer walk around, creek crossings, anything that will alter the travel pattern and bunch the deer up in a small area that you can cover with your bow.

Happy scouting, this is the best time of the year to scout in my opinion. And you won't be disturbing the deer you are hunting.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Jm, that is the kind of info I am looking for. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Are there some others with input on this subject?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is jm the only one here with input on this or did he just cover it all? LOL I would have thought some of the others here would have some experience at it as well.

LT
Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

He pretty much covered it all. I will also use multiple trail cams and see where and when and in what direction they are moving. In mid to late summer, I'll bait a couple of spots and put the cams on them to see the quality/quantity of deer in my area.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 AM

When I snoop around after hunting is over I try to break it up into two different time frames. Immediately following the season I try to focus on tracks..........where I see the most traffic helps me understand what the majority of deer are doing in response to pressure. This helps me figure out travel routes better when the heat gets turned up.

Then when the weather FIRST breaks I recheck for the heaviest used trails and see how they have changed.......this tells me where they are BANKING on food being present........I figure that as soon as the snow clears they have one thing on their mind and that is regaining their strength........so they go where KNOW food will be. If that is dry for some reason then they begin to wander somewhat.

These 2 things tell me where they feel safe enough to hide during pressure and what their first choice of a reliable food source is. Of course the food options change during the coming seasons but they never forget that favorite place.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks MarylandWhitetail. I am considering the use of more than one trailcam as well.

Atlasman, that is good info. That is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. The whole idea of the thread was to get different tactics that each of us use and combine these with what I already know and do. I plan to use these as season comes to a close. (Those that fit my area at least.)

Thanks, LT
Old 01-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Immediately following the season I try to focus on tracks..........
I agree. And it sure makes things easier when there is a little snow on the ground. I also concentrate on areas where I have seen deer out of range move during the season and maybe pick out a better vantage point that keeps the wind in my favor.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a big "Amen" there as well BobCo. I have for 2 seasons had large deer travel the same route during the rut. I have tried twice to intercept them but the stinkin' wind did not cooperate either time. I am looking at different entrance/exit routes for next season that will keep the wind in my favor. It ain't gonna be easy because of the surrounding hunting clubs. We shall see.

Thanks, LT
Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

All is good advice!!! I like to Shine for deer as well. This tells me what bucks are in the area. I'll shine at different times of the night as well to see which bucks are in what fields at what times. I have been out shinning 3 nights in a row and have been seeing a real nice 10 in the same field just after dark, I know he's in this area early and staging up close by. Come back an hour later he's gone and a different buck was in the same field but coming into it much later after dark.

Quick Reply: Post Season Scouting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.