Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim? >

Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

they found a 9 point off of our coast one day two years ago like 8 miles out but it had just died from exhaustion
Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

It was back during the eighties around early November ,snow was just starting to fly a friend and who had turned me on to some great fishing and hunting were out of town about 60 miles to a area where we had hunted fished, we were both sharing a pint and other material, we were driving along that familiar fast deep moving river and i opened up "hey can those mulies smim across this?" his reply "You God dang right they can"..i said "are you sh*itt'n me?",,it was no more than about 300 feet further down that road along that river, sure enough i had saw where a good size doe jumped it that fast moving current and began it's swim straight across to the other side like that water wasn't even there. Now that was a trip.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

a neighbor of mine loves to fish lake Mille Lacs in Minnesota (absolutely huge lake) and his wife loves to deer hunt. well, on the opening of deer hunting this year he was fishing and she was hunting. He actually saw a doe heading out to sea (it would seem that way on that lake). he called his wife and said 'guess what I see'? She didn't see a deer all weekend. Who would have thought that a guy fishing mille lacs would see a deer! I guess the doe realized what she was doing and turned back to shore.

Seems to me they love to cross water when they are pressured. I gun hunt near a pond, I can't even count all the times deer have crossed that pond during gun season.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ddeblance

http://www.outdoorsweekly.com/trail.html

Look about halfway dow the page...... nive buck in the some
cold water!
That deer was actually shot on opener of this gun season. I guess he became quite a famous deer!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

We see 'em swimming here in Louisiana all the time. Especially if they're running from dogs. Some of the guys I used to work with would set up hunters around the perimeter of an island and let their deer dogs go at one end. Deer would hit the water like a labrador retriever.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

I've been fishing(trolling) out on Lake Superior and have seen a buck swiming to an Island. The Island was over a mile from shore and the buck was at least half way. Its amazing they can swim with those little hooves. An interesting side note - the deer on the island are now eating some of the native plants to extiniction. The Park Service has a speccial gun hunt to try to reduce the herd size. Canadian Yew is like candy to those deer.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep i grew up on the Grand River here in Michigan and we used to seethem swimming almost every day. Walt
Old 11-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My parents live on a lake and i have seen deer swim the lake on a number of occasions. Although they swim, and are very good at it, i think they will travel alittle farther out of their way to avoid swimming if they can. I think that swimming is definetly their last resort.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Spike

On 11/10 I seen a huge 10 pointer run past me and jump into a creek, swim down stream and take off after a doe on the other side.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are good swimmers i think its because there hair makes them very buoyant . They have been seen swimming across the bay to an island that is a mile to a mile and a half away

Quick Reply: Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.