Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim? >

Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

that musta been a pain gettin that deer out
Old 11-16-2006, 01:35 PM

Here are some deer that I got a picture of swimming at a Nature Center here in MO. There were 4 of them that swam across this lake.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Spike

These are some great pictures. I have never seen a deer swim before but i don't hunt near water or I should say water that they would need to swim across.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 PM

My friends and I were on my boat at a small island in the middle of
the Ohio river along with several other boats.Someone noticed a
small buck(in velvet) in the middle of the river.Swam all the way
from West Virginia to Ohio,once on the river bank,he started
feeding like it was nothing.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen deer swim on several occasions! I even had one swim through my duck decoy spread once, that was a sight!!! I duck hunt, on a reservoir, that is about 3 miles long and half mile wide! I've seen a deer swim across that at least 10-15 different times! I even arrowed one right as it came out of the water!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back my brother and I were trout fishing in a lake at a nearby WMA and heard dogs barking on the ridge above us. A buck came running down off the ridge and without hesitation jumped into the lake and swam across the widest part which was about 100 yards. Needless to say the dogs lost his trail.......lol. It was 14 degrees that morning. I live by the Kanawha river and I've seen deer swim it several times.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:12 PM

All I can say is deer are AMAZING creatures. It is amazing year after year we hunt them and they are still going strong. I believeamazing is the only word youcan use to describe them!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

swampthing....radical man!....Yes Ive seen emswim rivers to get to islands to avoid pressure...my boyz can swim too
Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes deer do swim on a regular basis. One of my favorite places to hunt isa funnel were the deer cross a small river, there's a large field to one side, a small wood lot and then a bluff, they cross the river all the time in their daily routine. A deer's hair is hollow inside and serve's as a floatation device. they will float without even kicking,I worked on the Ohio and Mississippi river's as a deckhand years ago seen huge deer swimming the river all of the time, sometimes they would get tired and just float along with the current.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too have seen it, but not as part of their trail system, I jumped 2 does walkingonto a point, they had the choice of running towards me or hitting the water. Its illegal to shoot a swimmer up here so I had to take a long shot to the far bank, but it wasn't hard to take one of them as they exited the water because I had planty of time to set up with a good rest (gun hunt).

Quick Reply: Swimming Deer, ever see a Deer Swim?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.