Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nature reclaimed my doe >

Nature reclaimed my doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nature reclaimed my doe

Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nature reclaimed my doe

friggin dogs...

I left an overnighter several years ago and a bobcat got after it. Unlike a coyote, the cats prefer to chow the hind quarter first. The deer was pretty much intact except for a softball sized chunk of meat missing from one of the hams.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 AM

That stinks! Sorry you had it happen to you... I couldn't tell you how many could have done that, I don't know much about yotes. I know we have heard them close to the property we hunt, never have seen them though. My husband found one set of yote tracks last year, in 10 years of hunting this property, he'd never seen tracks before.

Makes me think twice about leaving a deer overnight, however, after a week and a half, the gutpile from his 5 pt. was still there. Last year I shot a button buck with my bow and the gutpile was gone two days later, so I know they are there, maybe something scared them out this year, who knows.

Either way, he and a buddy are planning on hunting them this year.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 AM

wow!!! you got to be kidding me.....I would take the gun out there tonight and sit right by the carcass....are you allowed to hunt coyotes with a spotlight at night in IL??? if so, kill them all!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bunch! They normally just start eating at the rear end of the deer and im sure that took more then one to do all that
Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't leave one out over night either If I could help it because of that. Out on my place the coyotes start yelping at about sundown. I think they do that so they can pack together. A deer hit on the side of the road her could be gone in as few as 2 days in the winter, but they don't eat them as fast in the summer.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:11 AM

This summer, my wife called me at work to tell me there was a coyote outside the house LICKING THE GREASE off the bottom of the grill!!!!!
Of course I told her she was a nutcase. After all, it was 11 o'clock in the morning and I live in town (at the edge).
After the third day of her calling me at about the same time, she finally got pics. The fourth time she called, I rushed home. She had my daughter's window open and the .22 loaded beneath it and the yote was just chillin outside the window. I shot it. It was all mangy and had bald spots. Looked sick.
I have seen a few around the house since then, but they stay out of SKS range
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 AM

Southeast of Casey. Why wait for the first snowfall, go get some traps and start now. I've taken two coyotes and couple coons already this year. My dad got me into trapping, I'm not hardcore by any means. to me it's just another way to contribute to thinning out the coyotes, but sometimes you get lucky with other critters. Like the fox I got last year that is now bedded on the shelf over my fake fireplace. Maybe we can get together sometimes and try to take out some coyotes later this year.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:43 AM

I shot a doe a few years ago, put a great double lung on her and saw her drop about 100 yards or less, behind my stand. I decided to wait a little bit to see if a buck was trailing her, so I waited 45 minutes, then climbed down, and started over to where I saw her fall. When I came up over a rise and looked down in the dip she fell into, I spooked three yotes out of the dip off of her, in under an hour they had found her and ate both hind quarters, pulled out her guts, and started eating on one shoulder. I was standing there not believing what I was seeing, and took out the video camera to video the damage they had done in such a short time, and they actually came back and tried to run me off the carcass, the largest of the three came in to about 10 yards and even curled her lips back a little and went on by and circle out to about 50 yards and stood watching me, while the other two circled me and the carcass at about 80 yards or so, they circled twice and left, never running or acting scared, I got them on video circling and watching me. I hurried home and got the 22-250 and came back and sat a while, but they never came back in the daylight, next day it was completely eaten. Nasty critters, I kill every one I get the chance to, bobcats are getting bad around here too.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Yeah headlamps are legal to use in Illinois, but your best off using a red lense so the coyotes don't see the light. Between Coyote hunting and Muskie fishing I should be able to keep busy this winter.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had this happen two times in two days on completely different farms. In both cases, they ate the hams first.

I had another one partially eaten a few years ago on the last day of the season and I've even walked out to recover a deer I shot 1/2 hour earlier and scared off the buzzards that had already started feasting on it.

Around here, coyotes aren't AS MUCH of a problem, but when they get involved, they can make quick work of the meat you planned on getting.

Quick Reply: Nature reclaimed my doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.