Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING? >

GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 AM

Default GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

Howdy! yaw;

I was pondering on using a ghillie suit to ground hunt;and was wondering if any of you fine folks had any suggestions?

The thing is there are a lot of hunters in my area using stands to hunt. I have seen and have been told by other hunters in my area that they have wittnessed the dear searching the trees for hunters.

I was in my stand and saw several bucks come in searching the trees. That was why I was considering using an ghillie suit.

What do you good folks suggest? Do any of you use a ghillie suit and if so do you think this would help me in harvesting a deer from the ground since the deer have begun to pattern the stand hunters? What are some of your alls tricks and tips when ground hunting with a ghillie suit? Do you all use extra ground cover or would just setting with back side to a large oak or downed log be okay?

Anysuggestions would be very helpful and appreciated.

God Bless/Good Hunten!

Holler Critter
Old 11-15-2006, 07:18 AM
G5

Default RE: GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

I like to hunt on the ground just as much as being in a stand, drawing back on a deer at eye level is awesome. I use cabelas light weight ghille pants and leafy shirt. I think it does well for breaking up your outline but i think you can hunt the ground with out the ghillie. For me though it kind of adds a little extra confidence and that is a huge part of hunting.

If you want to hunt on the ground, try it. The worst that can happen is your not gonna get a deer that day. Also if its a wet day, when the woods are silent try still hunting.That usually makes for a fun hunt.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the ASAT pattern leafy suit. It works great. Do a search on this forum going back a ways and you will get lots of info including contact info on where to order.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:43 AM

Several years ago, during the second of two times that I ever bowhunted before this season, I had an awesome experience hunting from the ground. I was probably 18 or 19. I was evening hunting a greenfield in October, and it was really warm. I wore a woodland camo BDU set with jungle combat boots. Because I was on the ground, I figured I had better be head to toe, so I my camo net facemask and gloves as well. I set up in a camo directors chair, with my back to some thick leafy foilage that was too thick to see through.

About 1/2 hour before dark, I had a HUGE doe walk out feeding. She mosied over to about 20 yards broadside, and just stopped and fed. I raised by bow, and drew. She never new I was there. Then I remembered, the guy who actually owned the lease on that property didn't allow does to be shot. It was an older guy that grew up thinking that if you onlly shoot bucks you get more deer. Yes the buck-doe ratio was severly out of whack, but his lease, his rules. I held my bow for about two minutes contemplating taking the shot (would anyone see me and dad leave, or maybe "but I could of swore I saw spike"). I know I shouldn't have even considered it, but this would have been my first ever deer. Finally, I let my draw down. My arrow rattled on the rest, and her head shot my way. She ke[t blowing and stomping, but couldn't figure out what wsa there. Finally, my arm got tired and I layed my bow in my lap. She saw this movement and bolted. It was about 5 min till dark, so I packed up and left. I sometimes still kick myself for not taking that shot.

I told that longwinded story to say this. Don't waste your money on a guilie suit. Get some good, open patterned camo, and put yourself against a thick backdrop, and they will never know you are there.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 AM
G5

just thought i would add that if you do go the ghillie suit route, and hunt thick woods, you will be tangled in every briar you come with in 10 ft of. I only wear mine when im hunting open timber, because it is impossable to be stealthy with a ghillie suit through heavy brush.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 AM

G5 is right about that...., you don't need one to hunt from the ground any how. I like to sit in open hardwoods or on the edge of a greenfield in small pines. I have one but it seems to be more trouble than its worth
Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

I have a Rancho Safari Shaggie Suit. It's pretty awesome how much it hides you.

I do recommend getting into some cover. Just standing next to a tree will work, but it's much easier for the deer to pick you out when they get within ten yards.

My friend uses oneandhad a doe come in and browse on the other side of a bush so close he could have poked her with the arrow. He also had a mature buck come within four yards and browse around him. (doe only area)

Birds will land on you, squirrels will practically walk across your feet. It's pretty cool.

I don't put it on until I'm at my spot. The shaggie will grab every briar within two feet of you. (bring brush clippers with you)
Also, practice shooting with it and don't be afraid to trim away anything that might interfere with your string.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 AM

i am a marine scout sniper and have made several real ghillie suits
have you ever seen one? not on eof the store bought ones that
are no way as good as the real thing ,there is no better camo on earth
than a real ghillie suit 'vegd' up it takes time to make but can adapted to any terrain if you want to know more hit me back
Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM

I agree with moondance. I'm not in the military but I made my own for paintball and it works great while hunting. The store bought ones don't even compare to the ones that you can make yourself. I'm sure his was better than mine, but mine works just fine. Get some jute twine and/or burlap, die it in various greens and browns, and tie it on to a net that has been glued to a jacket and pants. Mix the shredded threads with a few leaves from the dollar store and some pieces of large unshredded burlap. It's hard to mess up... anyone can do it, and there is some how to sites on the internet that help out alot. If I were you and going to ground hunt, I would definately make my own. Plus when you do kill a deer with it on, you feel way cool.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

moondance1..ooh rah..Semper Fi......keep ya head down!!

Quick Reply: GHILLE SUITS AND GROUND HUNTING?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.