Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 has anyone every got anything good stalking? >

has anyone every got anything good stalking?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

has anyone every got anything good stalking?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:08 PM

Default has anyone every got anything good stalking?

Has anyone ever shot a good buck stalking or still hunting on the ground?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 PM

Default RE: has anyone every got anything good stalking?

Killed my first deer(9pointer) stalking during gun season. Saw a buck across the bottom I was hunting, I was still hunting in a light rain. Got to within 40 yards of the buck and put a shot through the lungs.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 PM

i ment bowhunting.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, not even close.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:06 PM

This bow season in the first week, I got to within 30 yards of a button buck/ small doe. It never knew i was there until I got closer, it was a geat experience and i was lucky because it was a wet day and the leaves didn't crunch.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

I took a button buck@ 18yds stalking a creek. I had a 140 class buck @ 15yds and he got away in the tall grass without me seeing him leave.
I had a doe @ 20yds but she wouldn't come out from behind a tree. All this happened this year. I see alot more deer stalking than I have from a stand but alot more also see me
Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's VERY difficult. I've never got within bow range but I don't try it alot. I have alot more luck staying still and call them to me.

I do know a guy that has good luck stalking deer bedded in standing corn on windy days. He's done it twice successfully.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:04 AM

I tried once when the biggest deer I ever saw in the woods went running by at about what seemed 50 mph into a field I was hunting over and went about 400 yards to the corner of the field I was hunting over and got out of my stand trying to make something happen. Well to say the least I could never close the gap to 35 yards ( I wont take shots with my bow past that I have a pin on my sight for 40 and even one for 60 I got bored in my backyard and put the switchback to the test its accuate on a fake deer but wont do it on a real deer. ) I think he busted me or knew something was fishy that day because I never saw him again......untill the next year at 10 yards broadside in my stand 5 min AFTER I just shot a bigger buck. My advice to you is find a funnel or corridor and hunt there. Early season my favorite thing in the world to do is sit near an acorn tree. If you ever do this take up some small rocks like pebbles with you and throw them in front of you it makes it sound like acorns are dropping and I have had early season success with filling my doe tag by doing this. Just hunt hard and smart and learn as much as you can while in the woods and you will be fine.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

I've killed a few stalking with my bow.No good sized bucks,but I have not done it any severial years.The last was a large doe in 2004.I spotted her and just stalked up on her.
I always liked stalking on rainy,windy days.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ohio Bowhunter75

I've killed a few stalking with my bow.No good sized bucks,but I have not done it any severial years.The last was a large doe in 2004.I spotted her and just stalked up on her.
I always liked stalking on rainy,windy days.
Same here if i am going to stalk i wait for those rainy windy day`s. I have done fairly well stalking no monster`s but i have jumped a couple that would have gone maby 120-130?
To be honest you can get closer and do better than you might think you can?

Quick Reply: has anyone every got anything good stalking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.