Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

STAND HIGHT

Old 11-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Default STAND HIGHT

AM I SETTING UP TO LOW GOT BUSTED 3 TIMES.

HOW HIGH IS YOUR STAND?
LADDER OR HANG ON OR CLIMBER?

Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: STAND HIGHT

The bottom platform of my climber is 17 feet from the bottom of the tree. Most of the trees where I hunt will only allow me to climb about that high because of big branches that I don't want to cut off. Is 17 ft. high enough? I would like to be a bit higher, but it's not going to happen with the trees I have available where I believe the stand should be. I have been busted more than once this season drawing my bow that I will attribute to not being high enough.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have 2 prime stands, one is 23' and the other is 26'.

When I climb with my climber, I always climb til my bow rope ends, 25'...sometimes higher if the terrain and foliage requires it, sometimes lower if the same applies.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you got busted then your too low , you need to at least twenty feet up or higher.
I set my tree stands at twenty four and twenty eight feet up , one of my friends has one thats thirty two feet up.
The reason he has so high is that his stand is facing a steap ridge over looking a corn field.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Spike

I am a firm believer that height is important for hunting whitetail and that a 16' foot base is the ideal minimum. If you can get 20' or more, so much the better.

I have not been scented yet in my 20' stands this year.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

i climb to the end of my rope also..25 foot when i can..sometimes i gotta go higher..and i do if i can. sometimes i dont need to get high so i dont..all depends on the terrain and cover
Old 11-11-2006, 02:51 PM

You guys and squirrels may be able to climb and function at 20-26 feet but NOT me. I'd be scared $hit!e$$. I hang my stands 12-15 feet butalways put them in crotches orin a group of 2 or 3 trees, and hang branches from the stand in order to hide my outline. I don't wear scentlok clothing and have had deer downwind and directly under me all season without getting busted. (I am knocking on wood as I type)
Old 11-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

with the exception of finding a good oak with pines next to to hide me I I am at the least 25ft I have one at 16 but it has 4 thick hemlocks around it so you can't even see me, but thats the exception to the rule. I personally like to find tree's that are surrpounded by thick pines to me I feeel as though I am less likely to be spoted especially one all the leaves are down those are the only places I put a stand, but thast just myy tactic
Old 11-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

I like to set up at 20'
Old 11-11-2006, 05:29 PM

20 to 25 feet for me.

Quick Reply: STAND HIGHT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.