Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

STAND HIGHT

Old 11-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: STAND HIGHT

15-20 feet for me. I shot a deer 2 years ago at 12 feet and the deer never seen me at all. But i usually go as high as my bow rope goes which is 20 feet.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

About 25. Up around 30' I notice the earth is spinning really fast.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have some hang-ons set at 16-18 feet where I have used my 16' stick ladder! Others, I add a few screw-in steps to get to around 20-22 feet. Anything above 24' or so, tends to give me nosebleeds. LOL!! Height does play a role in most hunts...deer are becoming programmed to look higher and higher in trees when they feel hunting pressure within a certain area, especially if a hunter has missed a shot at then in a given area!! Deer can be extremely smart!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Site Buck Guru

I go as high as I need to go to get the best shot to the trails I'm hunting. It could be 15', it could be 28". Ideally, I like to be 23-25' high. The situation and the terrain dictate my stand height.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Spike

right now I am set up at 12 feet and haven't had a problem with deer seeing me or scenting me. This is the highest I have been and haven't had problems with any of my setups. Lowest is probably 8 or 9 feet. I do have a good back ground in all of my setups.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

12-15 feet always go up a double tree or 3 trees together. I feel that the further you go up the more severe the shot anglewill beon the deer for bow hunting. i seethat I am in the minority when it comes to stand height.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me its at least 20 feet or higher. Unless I'm in a tree with good cover and it requires me to sit at a certain height!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

My stand is at around 12 feet or so...I can't really get much higher than that in the area that I hunt...too many branches on all the trees. I haven't been busted yet. I grazed a doe in my stand friday morning and she came out in the exact same spot friday night..never did see me either...the buch that was with her was just like what the hell was that when I shot. He then trotted further into the field and never did see me. I think it as an alright height for me in the situation.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

I like 20-25 ft. but my main goal is to get covered. I try to get into branches to break me up. If i use my climer I go up as high as i can and still shoot with out hitting branches. Last year had to hunt one stand at 10 feet cut out 2 dranches out of the pine and tied them back on the tree felt like a ground blind when i was finished. And got biggest deer out of it last year. Sometimes you just have to adapt to your surrondings
So if your getting busted you need to try something else. It could be a height issue, movement, secent or a # of things. So dont be afraid to try something new.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

With my lock on I usually only go 15ft since I hate it. LOL. Plus I usually find large trees with limbs so it's not that big of a deal. With my climber I go at the very least 18ft to the foot platform. I have never been over 26-28ft high though.

Quick Reply: STAND HIGHT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.