Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you??

Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Spike

Default would you??

Would you of taken a 3-pointer for your first deer. Me and my father just started bowhunting this year, we have both gotten our first deer this year. He got a 7-pointer and I got a 3-pointer.
I have a wonderful just being out in the woods this year, Ive seen all kinds of wildlife. 2 weeks ago, My father had this 7-point come in a 25 yds, and he took a shot, the arrow hit a branch at deflected hitting the deer in the artery of his hind leg. My dad was afraid he gut shot him, but he went about 60 yds and fell over. So he called me telling his deer was down, he looked back at him and the deer was gone. While all this was going on, a doe came in right on my trail I walked in on leading right to my stand, just trying to figure out what she was smellin, she came in right under my stand and was rubbin on my ladder and sniffin all over the place, so I thought I might be able to look over to see what she was doing. I slowly moved so I could look over the rail, and about 5 seconds later she looked up at me, eye to eye at 15ft or less, I guess she could make anything out, and she never got spooked. A little while later, I heard something walking in behind me and it was my dads deer, I could tell because he bleeding down his leg. So I knew what i had to do, there wasn't a comfortable shot I could of takin, when he was going through that trail. Right before he crossed the fence I knew I had to put one in him so I took a shot through a big jumble of branches and limbs, some how it missed all of the limbs and hit him right in the vitals, and he only made it about 30 more yds. Later to find out that it was a heart shot through the thickest mess i would of never thought you could get a arrow through.
The next weekend, we sat in a different treestand in the morning without succes, so I went back to my favorite stand in the after noon. Minutes before dark I look over my shoulder, and I see what I thought was a 4-pointer,and hearing from everyone I talked to that any deer is a nice first deer, so I decided to take the shot. I let the arrow go, and couldnt tell where it hit, he ran about 30 yds, and started walking I was thinkin maybe I got a bad shot on him, he went about another 5 yds and flipped onto his back. Right then I was so excited I got my irst deer I called my dad, while I was on the phone, a huge 8-pointer came through at 30-yds, I can always say If I would of only held out a couple of minutes later, but I am still excited about my first deer, and it was with a bow to. Come to find out that one side was broken off, making him a 3 point. Now I guess My first Deer with 1 antler broken off will match my first turkey with one spur broken off.

Sorry about the long post, but I just had to tell my story.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: would you??

Congrats. Be proud of your first deer. No Matter how big or small. Try and keep getting better bucks over the next few years.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

My first recovered buck with a bow was a 4 point. I'm as proud of him as any I've ever taken. I remember it still today so don't fret what anyone else thinks and be happy with your first. Congratulations to you and your father, you've started the path to a wonderful future together in bowhunting. Good luck with that.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:50 AM
CJW

Sounds likealot of people's first bow kill. Mine wasa button buck. That's the best way to learn how to cook venison too. Nice tender meat. If your deer only went 35 yds, that's another thing to be proud of. Andto methe most important thing. I love watching them go down insight. Now that you've got that one under your belt you canwait out the big boys. Or big girls, whichever you like.

Congrats

Cameron
Old 11-11-2006, 07:17 AM

It sounds to me like your first bow kill was a 7 pointer. Just because your dad wounded him first doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment for you. You still put an arrow thru him and killed him. I would advise not shooting thru that much brush on a regular basis, but hey, I'm not you am I.

Sounds like a nice kill on the three point as well. I did the same with the broken rack last year. What should have been a really nice 10 point was actually a 6 point when I recovered it because one side of the rack was broken. I took that one with a gun though just as it was getting dark and raining. Visibality wasn't that great. It was still legal though since it had 4 points on side.

When I first started hunting I was in my early thirties. I would have taken any legal deer that came under my stand. And I told the guy that was teaching me to hunt that. I told him I don't care if it's a dog sized doe, I'm going to shoot it just to see if I can. And to see how I felt after doing it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to hunt deer or not at that point. I had nothing against it, just wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to do.

Well as luck would have it half an hour into my first day ever in a tree stand with a bow a 10 point and a 7 point walked in front of me. I wanted to the 10 but he wouldn't present what I felt was a good shot. Now I know I could have taken him a few times though, but I was picky then and wanted a perfect broadside shot. Anyway the 7 point turned perfectly broadside at 18 yards and stuck it's head in the weeds. If that ain't a sign I don't know what is. So my first deer with a bow was a 7 point, but only by shear luck. I had a combo tag in my wallet that allowed me to harvest either a buck or an antlerless deer. I don't mind saying I was willing to burn either one.

My feeling is learn what you are doing as far as hunting, shot placement, tracking and field dressing. Then when you are comfortable and confident start getting selective if you want. Besides, the little ones taste better and are easier to drag.

I think you both did a fine job for your first time out. Tell your dad not to be too down about what happened, stuff happens. That is why it's called hunting, not killing.

Paul
Old 11-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats to the both of you. I'd certainly take a little credit for that 7 pt if I were you, you don't know if he'd have ever been found if you hadn't shot him again. Shooting at an already wounded buck its alright to force one thru lots of brush. You may however want to reconsider that shot on a deer not injured.

I think shooting any buck for your first, or even first few is alright, but then you may want to try holding out for a nicer one. A lot depends on your situation. best of luck to you both.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Spike

As already said by others, you should be proud! Shooting a deer with a bow is a very hard task. The phrase "any deer with a bow is a trophy" is not too far off.

I have gravitated towards taking larger bucks because I am fortunate to have quite a bit of opportunity to hunt, as well as the challenge I am looking for. But, when I look back, the hunts I think of most fondly rarely has to do with antler size.

As you said, being in the woods is wonderful. Congrats!