Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand Ethics >

Treestand Ethics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand Ethics

Old 11-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Treestand Ethics

My brother-in-law is really old school (he's 67) and gives me a hard time about hunting from a treestand. He says it wasn't legal when he hunted (in upstate NY) and he doesn't think taht it's sportsman-like to get up in a tree to hunt deer. Doesn't really say why (he's like that). I like him and generally respect his ethics. Has anyone else encountered thisopinion or does anyone on here have this viewpoint? If so, what is the rationale?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Treestand Ethics

Old ways sometimes die hard . You could try explaining to him that he's just as free to hunt the way he wants as you are to hunt your way , but it's unlikely that he'll change . My uncle gave up bow hunting when compounds were introduced because he hated the thought of sharing the woods with them and knew that things would never go back to the way they were . I find that truly sad , he gave up shooting the recurve he loved just because he couldn't accept change . Your BIL sounds the same .
Old 11-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MountainHunter

My brother-in-law is really old school (he's 67) and gives me a hard time about hunting from a treestand. He says it wasn't legal when he hunted (in upstate NY) and he doesn't think taht it's sportsman-like to get up in a tree to hunt deer. Doesn't really say why (he's like that). I like him and generally respect his ethics. Has anyone else encountered thisopinion or does anyone on here have this viewpoint? If so, what is the rationale?
Wasn't legal or not thought of/compact and/or convienantthen. Back then they would have used steel and it would have been about 40#s.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I he a gun hunter or a bow hunter.
The tree stand wouldn't be as big a deal when gun hunting, but few archers have mastered taking deer from the ground. That is truly an achievement.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:25 PM

he must be one of those opinionated NYers LOL
Old 11-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken all my deer from the ground with my bow. I only baught a tree stand this year to try out. I have shot one deer from the ground this year while hunting from the ground. I would really like to get one from my tree stand just to see what it is like. I did like the deer walking right under me though.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think it's a matter of changing technology (steel to aluminum, etc.). There have always been permanent wooden stands. This is some kind of ethical thing. His ethics come from his gut more than fromreason,so he doesn't really defend it very well. But before I dismiss it, I'd like to hear a defense of that ethic, if anyone here can make one. I respect his ethics, generally, andI respect the ethics of people who post on here generally.

Anyone?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know, it really doesn't matter how someone hunts, there will always be someone who is against it. You can't please everyone all of the time or whatever cliche you chose.

People need a reason to whine and bitch, why is that? [&:]