Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what do you think of my ethics ? seriously >

what do you think of my ethics ? seriously

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you think of my ethics ? seriously

Old 03-25-2005, 11:14 AM

Default what do you think of my ethics ? seriously

Last fall I was hunting with a longbow in kansas. Big deer country, the hunt was for P&Y bucks in an area that produces them. A trophy hunt.

I shoot pretty good, I killed a 140" 11 pointer last year with a longbow but was using a different bow this year. Long story short - my shooting got worse and worse. I could practice at night indoors and my groups sucked. During the day, I'd shoot right when I got into my stand and several shots when I got out and my arrows were going 6" to 18" from where I wanted them too. Terrible shooting and I figured my odds were high of missing/wounding a deer.

The hunt started on Sat evening and my Dad killed a big buck on Mon with his Q2. Monday night he asked if I wanted to finish my hunt with it. We changed the sights a bit to accomodate my style of shooting and within 30 shots I was grouping very well at 20 yards.

I hunted Tues/Wed/Thu/Fri with it and on Sat morning shot a nice non-typical with it. One shot, one kill. I heart shot him at 14 steps I think it was.

On another thread a guy said

" the weapons should not be adapted for the hunter "

Thats what I did. I chose a much easier weapon to finish my hunt because my shooting sucked with the bow I took. Not unlike a bowhunter going to Alaska caribou hunting with a bow and finishing the hunt with a borrowed rifle.

Anyway, I'm very comfortable with my choice and would do it again. What are ya'lls thoughts ? Was I "bad" for hunting with a bow after 30 shots of practice ? Was I "bad' for switching weapons ?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what do you think of my ethics ? seriously

Nope and nope. Seriously.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude don't put to much into what other people think. My personal feeling is that you did nothing wrong.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:22 AM

Would you have wanted to wound the deer? I say no to both questions.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:27 AM

My personal feeling is you let yourself down.. You set out to take a deer with the longbow,why would you give up. At first you don't succeed try and try again. You should have figured out the reason why you lost your group. If I start scattering arrows I don't hunt.If it was easy everybody would be doing it.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:29 AM

If my shooting was that bad I would have never have gone. You switched your weapons so you could hunt and I have no problem with that.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM

There's a saying that I heard somewhere and I like to use it in situations like this, "Opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one."

I beleive you did the right thing. I would say no to both questions.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

You should have picked up a xbow and used that. j/k
Old 03-25-2005, 11:44 AM

My personal feeling is you let yourself down..
I did to a degree. My goal was to hunt with a longbow and again shoot a big buck. I did not accomplish that. But ...... I also didn't wound a deer, I didn't miss a deer , and shooting a deer with a compound though much easier than with a recurve, still isn't an easy task. But yeah, I know what you're saying and you're right to a degree.

Zak123 - here is what happened. I bought a top of the line TD longbow - and the poundage was near the top of my weight range. During practice in Arkansas, non-hunting situations, I was pretty good with it. It was a VERY finicky bow to shoot (LBR knows what I'm talking about) - it didn't allow for much error in shooting it. Anyway, although I practiced from treestands, hunting clothes on etc, I couldn't duplicate sitting 5 hours without moving in 20 degree weather like I faced in Kansas. Coupled with the finicky nature of this bow ....... I just couldn't shoot well. Mentally I was already defeated - archery eventually becomes so much more mental than physical and I'd lost the mental part.

The compound allowed me to continue hunting, no fear of missing/wounding and hey, bowhunting is still a huge challenge. I had some VERY nice bucks that never came to within 30 yards of me. Honestly , one buck I watched for maybe 20 minutes and he was every bit of 180" typical 5x5 - 26" spread maybe, 30" beams .......... awesome buck, largest I've ever seen by far. Landowner calls him pitchfork ! Anyway , even had I been able to use a crossbow and one been available, I'd still have had the same challenges for the most part and thats getting into 20 yard range.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:56 AM

I understand now datamax. You did the right thing.

Quick Reply: what do you think of my ethics ? seriously

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.