Last monday evening my cousin and I were out hunting on his mom and dads farm and he had a 160 10 point come by following a doe. The doe followed a trail that broke off away from his stand and he knew the buck was going to do..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help >

Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help

Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help

Last monday evening my cousin and I were out hunting on his mom and dads farm and he had a 160" 10 point come by following a doe. The doe followed a trail that broke off away from his stand and he knew the buck was going to do the same thing so he had to take a shot at 26yards through a little brush. His arrow ended up clipping a small twig and hit the deer perfect height even with the lungs but in the back leg. The arrow burried in bone after about 4 inches of penetration. We waited 3 hours before we got on the trail we were kind of pleased to see that the blood was bright red. We followed the deer in a circle for about 2 hours and he layed down 4 different times with the first spot of blood being about the size of a 55 gallon drum. Eventually we got to a point where we were following pin dot size drops of blood...This is where I need help...do you guys think the deer is dead and we need to search the area thoroughly again or did he clot up and is still walkin...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help

not dead - but who knows for sure.

Deer can lose a ton of blood and live if its not heart/lungs.

Sorry -

FH

Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ScentLok32

Last monday evening my cousin and I were out hunting on his mom and dads farm and he had a 160" 10 point come by following a doe. The doe followed a trail that broke off away from his stand and he knew the buck was going to do the same thing so he had to take a shot at 26yards through a little brush. His arrow ended up clipping a small twig and hit the deer perfect height even with the lungs but in the back leg. The arrow burried in bone after about 4 inches of penetration. We waited 3 hours before we got on the trail we were kind of pleased to see that the blood was bright red. We followed the deer in a circle for about 2 hours and he layed down 4 different times with the first spot of blood being about the size of a 55 gallon drum. Eventually we got to a point where we were following pin dot size drops of blood...This is where I need help...do you guys think the deer is dead and we need to search the area thoroughly again or did he clot up and is still walkin...
I feel your pain...but.
Shooting through brush is never a good idea, for this reason.
Still....I hope he lives
Old 11-07-2006, 10:46 PM

If he happened to hit the main artery in the leg then he would be dead. But if you hit it in the meat he should be fine.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of someone who did that and didn't hit the artery. They waited until the next morning and it was dead. It would take more than 3 hrs for it to die probably. You may have pushed it.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 AM

im no expert, but i think you should have turned around after u seen the first empty bloody bed and came back another 4 or 5 hous later. sounds like u kept pushing him
Old 11-08-2006, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

The doe followed a trail that broke off away from his stand and he knew the buck was going to do the same thing so he had to take a shot at 26yards through a little brush.

Had to[&:]????? This kind of mentality makes me sick. Now you have a deer walking around with a broadhead in his hind leg bone. When you bowhunt you take on a responsibility to not take the shot unless it's a good one, if the shot is not there you let him walk to be hunted another time. Now you come here and ask for help like we can wave a magic wand and find your wounded deer for you.[:@][:'(]
Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Prepare to cut off his shirt tail!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont care how much little brush there is you dont start flinging arrows through brush especally at a buck of that size. You hit the leg, he will live to see another day. Deer will lose mass amounts of blood on a leg shot, I tracked a deos last year that I ended up hitting in the leg for more than 4 hours. Opening day of gun season she was taken out.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 AM

Well, he said his cousin shot it, so get off of his butt, he doesn't control him with puppet strings I assume. 2nd of all, don't act like you have never taken a bad shot. 3rd, Look for the deer when it is dark with a blue light or a lantern.I doubt he is dead, he probably just had blood drained from a muscle, and it petered off, but look more for sure.

Quick Reply: Cousin shot a monster but arrow hit limb and deflected...need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.