Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BROADHEAD PENATRATION >

BROADHEAD PENATRATION

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BROADHEAD PENATRATION

Old 11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: BROADHEAD PENATRATION

My old bows flung arrows at 160 and 180 fps. It's not your speed, it's probably the broadhead.

Sharpen them or switch heads and you should be fine.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

if you hit your first deer behind the shoulder and only 2" high then id say improve your tracking skills along with your heads. maybe you didnt get in as much as you though but 6" is good enough to kill in the lungs area just may take some time to die since youll probably only get one lung. if you really want to blast through deer go with a cut on contact 2 blade head or one with small bleeders. im not sure what the heads you use look like. i have muzzy phantoms for my recurve and they penitrate my target very deep (havent shot a deer with the recurve ,yet working on it) some head like that will help.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well you're setup is pushing plenty of KE to get a pass throughs on deer.

No offense to others, but I definitely don't buy the "broadhead isn't sharp enough" argument. I've been on several depredation hog hunts in Texas and on more than one occasion I've shot pigs with heads that have already shot 1 or 2 other hogs and not been sharpened. Granted, BH sharpness is EXTREMELY important and I'm in now way minimizing it, I just don't think that's your problem.

Bigbulls hit the nail on the head IMHO. If you drilled him in the crease of the shoulder quartering away there is no way to get both lungs. Just moveyour aiming pointback a little or try to get a perfectly broadside shot and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the board!!