Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is 4 inches of penatration enough?? >

is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Old 10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default is 4 inches of penatration enough??

i shot a nice buck this night at 23 yards, smack dab in the shoulder. Perfect height but in the middle of the shoulder. The arrow stuck in him and he ran about 10 yards before the arrow poped out. I found the arrow and it only had about 4 inches broken off. Should i wait till morn or would this even kill him?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:50 PM

Default RE: is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Yes, wait till morning. If you penetrated the blade, you've hit lungs and/or heart.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

any advice ..... please help
Old 10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

thats a tough call.definately wait.but i dont know if 4 inches is enough to kill the deer through the shoulder blade.at 23 yds you only got 4 ins deep.what poundage do you shoot?i shot 1 deer in the shoulder and it went through one side and the broadhead was just sticking out the other side and it only went 40 yds.it was a 30 yd shot.good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Letting it set a few hours is the best advice. The problem with a sholder hit is they do not want to bed down right away and stay down as it hurts them. On the flip side, its my experiance that they do not travel far because it is hard for them too walk too. They seem to bed often and get up right away, but there will not be much blood obviously. Let them set and if you got the lungs(hopefully both but maybe only one with 4 inches of penitration you should find him within 300 yards in the morning. Was there blood up the arrow? It may have broken off inside the animal and you have a deeper hit than you think.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

the arrow did not have much for blood after the broken spot, i shoot 85 grain thunder head at 60lbs. He ran off like a shot and into a big corn field..... the last i heard of him was about 75 yards away

Old 10-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck youll need it.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

i shot 1 deer in the shoulder and it went through one side and the broadhead was just sticking out the other side and it only went 40 yds.it was a 30 yd shot.good luck and keep us posted
Buckmaster.

WOW!!!What poundage are you using??
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM

Depends on how deep it went in before it broke. It broke off at four inches, but did it do this eight inches in or so? I know you don't know, but it all depends if it makes it to the lungs. I had a guy at work shot a nice doe at thirty five yards and hit it right in the shoulder opening weekend in October in Ohio. He was new and should have had more mentoring but he learned. He said that the deer ran off with most of the arrow sticking out flopping up and down as the deer ran. Now this is were the point is. This was on privet land and they also gun hunt. Well during gun season his father in-law shot a nice doe, and our deer season is almost two full months after my friend shot his. They butcher there own and when the cut it up, they found the B-head that myfriend had shot. They said it was all healed and there was no infection at all, meat had just a little white color real close to head. It may have taken a long time for the metal to break down and cause infection, but was just unreal that the deer healed up and the guys father in-law said the doe was not limping at all. So my point is I think you have no way of telling. You need to give it time and then go out and do a real good search.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 PM

I shot a doe last week at 30 ydsand hit her in the shoulder and it sunk all the way up to the fletchings and stuck out the otehr side pretty far then got pulled out after about 20 yds, But she only went about 50 yds and was done.
But you should have hit at least one lung and maybe even the heart. So just look and dont guve up. I think you will find him.

Also maybe you should up you weight broad head and maybe even sharpen them if the weight wasnt the problem. Cuz you should have got more penatration then that ( i think) like you could have hit that bone but i think 60 pull should get ya more then 4 inches, Like i shoot 60 and it went right threw that does shoulders.
Good luck and keep all of us posted.

Quick Reply: is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.