Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Magnus Stinger destroyed by a rib >

Magnus Stinger destroyed by a rib

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Magnus Stinger destroyed by a rib

Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Magnus Stinger destroyed by a rib

I have ALWAYS had nothing but 100% glowing reviews of Magnus Stingers and their performance. They are sharp, fly great and blow right through deer leaving great blood trails. I have showed many pics of the holes these things make in a deer. I have never even had anything remotely close to a complaint about these heads........and I have killed 7 deer with them.

The other day I shot a buck and I didn't get a pass through. Really good penetration and plenty of blood but the arrow was in him as he bounded off. I found the broken arrow about half way down the trail and the head was destroyed.......it looked like I shot a brick wall. I couldn't figure it out because I knew I was no where near the shoulder but I was near the spine so I waited until I butchered him to find out what happened.

The head didn't hit the spine.........in fact it didn't hit anything exept a rib on the opposite side. The rib was not broken but it did have a chunk missing from it. I was amazed that a bone as small as a rib would do this to my broadhead.............I immediately wondered what would have happened if I had hit the rib on the way in..........would it have just bounced off him?

What has been your experience with rib contact...........has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Needless to say I have some thinking to do over the off season. These heads have performed flawlessly for me for years now.........and I found this deer no problem. It just makes me wonder if I have been lucky or if this was just really bad luck.

I am gonna contact Magnus and see what they say. I don't think a rib should do this to a head.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Default RE: Magnus Stinger destroyed by a rib

Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 PM

Old 11-05-2006, 09:04 PM

You have killed several deer with them so they are at least a good head. I would not throw them to the road with that kind of past with them. Is it a brand new head? I know some guys like to reuse heads that have hit deer after they have replaced the blades and such but wander if when they are doing that there is damage they cannot see? At least you got the deer and good feedback post.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM

With Magnus' lifetime warranty they will replace it for you. I've heard great things about them as well.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

maybe it happend while it was inside him. pinned into the rib and then the arrow was getting knocked around and bent the head. ive never had a head not go right through a rib bone of a deer except when i was younger and had low poundage like 40-45lbs even then i got a few pass through on ribs.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

maybe it happend while it was inside him. pinned into the rib and then the arrow was getting knocked around and bent the head. ive never had a head not go right through a rib bone of a deer except when i was younger and had low poundage like 40-45lbs even then i got a few pass through on ribs.
I thought of that............anyone who has shot a deer knows that they don't hop off in a gentle manner. He left the scene in a violent, crashing fit.........bouncing off trees and breaking the arrow in half. If the arrow was imbedded in the opposite rib when he rammed a tree to break it off I could kinda understand it................kinda. What bothers me is why the opposite rib stopped the head in the first place and my fears are now on what happens if I hit a rib squarely on the way in??

This was my first non pass through with the heads.........everything I have ever shot them at they have killed quickly and flawlessly.

This REALLY caught me by surprise.........when I saw the arrow sticking out of him I was surprised.......when I found the arrow I was shocked.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are so many variables when an arrow goes in a liveanimal that it is impossible to cover them all. My feeling is that if you hit a rib on the way inthe Magnuscuts through it like butter. There would be nothing to slow its progress down before it hit.

I have had a two blade fail to get a pass through on deer when it never hit any bone shooting a set up producing around 70 lbs of KE.. Then again I have had a number of pass throughs on big deer with a 2 inch cut three blade mechanical shot out of the same setup.

Wasn't it Rob that shot an elk and got a complete passthrough then with the same setup, same arrow and style head didn't get a passthrough on a doe? Again there are so many variables shooting one animal from the other it is not like comparing apples to apples....

I am not touting Magnus as the "best" head out there but it is certainly a quality head. I would not be afraid to use them on any game.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

well i know i hit a rib on my button buck on the way in and i blew right thru it, there was about a 2 inch piece missing out of the bone, it the poceeded to pass thru and then it went throught its back leg and then went 3inches into the ground!! I was pleased, ive said it and i will say it again, you cant beat a muzzy
Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is interesting. And actually, I busted a few150 grain stingers with my longbow this year. Both had bent main blades with broken ferules. MAy need to move back to Zwickey.

Quick Reply: Magnus Stinger destroyed by a rib

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.