Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got lucky

Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got lucky

Well, I went out this evening to play around with a little spot and stalk. I have been seeing quite a few deer out but they have been too far away from the stand the last several times out. So I figure I would do a little playing with them as they have done with me the last few weeks.
I find a trail they have been using fairly frequently and ease around and find a spot to sit and listen. About 30 minutes into the hunt I hear the familiar leaves rustling. I keep the peepers peeled looking for any movement in the brush. I keep hearing it but now its fading.
I decide to move closer to the sounds. I sneak and sneak only a few steps at a time. Finally I see movement. Here she comes. She gets as close as 15 yards but is heading to me. No good shot. I wait. She starts scent checking knowing something isn't right in her neighborhood. I see more movement about 60 yards behind her. Ahhh, it's her sisters coming in it seems. They stop and begin their scent checking and she is looking at them as if asking "why won't you come on?" They turn and head back from whence they came. She decides that maybe this would also be a good thing but she is hesitant. She turns and starts heading back. Nice quartering away andgets to oh.....I am thinkingabout 30 yards. I stop her by letting out a soft "baaaa". I level the 30 yard pin on her vitals and trip the trigger. THWACK!!! Cool I think. She takes off like a runaway. I wait about 30 minutes and go look for the arrow. Find it and it has blood. RED blood, not pink, not frothy. Crap. I know I didn't hit her too far back. Maybe it was a heart shot. I leave and go to the truck to get the flashlight. It is dark now. I go back to search later. Finally found a spec of blood. More looking and find another drop. Cool.. on the right track. Keep this up for 45 minutes and find a puddle. Keep on and another 30 yards or so find another puddle. She can't be far now I think. Shine the light up a trail.....at least it looked like one in the dark. I see a white patch....COOL. There she is. I examine her and she is neck shot!! She had turned to look back towards me when I released and I hit high.
SO.......I GOT REAL LUCKY TONIGHT!!!!

Taking my 14 year old daughter out tomorrow for the youth hunt. She gets to try out her new .243 Rossi. She is pumped but not as much as I am to take her!! Wish her luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got lucky

Congrats, way to get your daughter out hunting, it's a great thing!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to add.......I was wearing my ASAT, sprayed down with scent killer,
and was working with the wind as much as possible. But when it comes down to it........I got lucky.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 PM

Congrats on your doe.

Best wishes to your daughter and to you for a great hunt tomorrow.

God Bless

Old 11-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:31 AM

Congrats on the doe, I can't wait to get my daughter out hunting.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice and congrats