Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Vanilla

Old 11-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Vanilla

do deer like the smell of vanilla, such as for a cover scent/ attractant? just wondering, ive also see, imitation maple used, like fake vanilla but a maple type substitute, it was a strong sweet smell.Just wondering about vanilla and id say some one here has tried it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Vanilla

Team Fitzgerald has the best vanilla product out there. Killa Vanilla is awsome stuff, spray it around a stand of White oaks that is a known feeding area and watch the deer traffic increase. I would almost guarantee it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:35 PM

I have used vanella before, but it does have its own issues.

The biggest problem I have seen is introducing a new smell into an area. I have seen deer spook at the smell, because it is a new unnatural smell. Now, if given enough time, and exposed to it enough, they really like it. But I have seen them spook. Does that mean it will happen every time? NO!! could you use it and the bucks come in on a string to a perfect broadside , yes.

They are unpredictable, and thats why we love to hunt them.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 PM

Years ago I used Fitzgeralds Vanilla Killa, and like Sphinx said it did work awesome, I had several deer come into it seemed like almost every time I used it. I tried regular vanilla a few years later and the deer didnt come anywhere near it, dont know why, but they didnt. I havent tried either one since, but have thought about trying the vanilla killa again.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

i tell ya what, i bought a couple 750ml's in cacun really inexpensive. straight up vanilla. i will let ya'll know how it tested in my area. wish me luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 PM

I attribute both does that I killed last year to vanilla. One came right under and started eating the leaves I sprayed it on.

Make sure you use pure vanilla and you can mix it with water to dillute it.

EDIT: I only used it early in the season. I like my other scents too much to use vanilla during the rut.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:14 PM

I like to use vanilla only problem is 15 minutes later I find myself back home baking muffins