HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many bucks do you pass on? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/162809-how-many-bucks-do-you-pass.html)

TurkeyStalker 11-01-2006 12:15 PM

How many bucks do you pass on?

I have passed on 7 small, not tiny, but average bucks last year. I ate bucktag sandwhich last year also. Already this year I have passed on 9. I keep telling myself that I will be rewarded someday. The sooner the better. I saw a real brute on Mon, but he stayed about 60 yards out. I know if I put my time in it will come. So I am asking how many bucks you pass on. I always catch myself saying he needs another year or two.

Buck Huntin Girl 11-01-2006 12:20 PM

RE: How many bucks do you pass on?

I have bucks all over where I am at, literally about a 9 or 10:1 ratio, but I don't pass on any. I only get one buck a year, and if it is in range, whether it is a spike, fork, 8 or that monster 10 we have roaming around out there, I will shoot it. Same goes for a doe. I ain't passin' up any deer within range unless I can see a larger one coming in behind it.

Wall decorations are nice, and there is the thrill of the chase, but I am not out there to hunt trophies, I'm out there to fill my freezer. Headgear is just an added bonus.

rybohunter 11-01-2006 12:25 PM

Depends on the year. I have my set size I want to shoot, and over the last 4-5 years it's ranged between 3-9 bucks I've passed on before letting an arrow fly.

nohillbilly 11-01-2006 12:28 PM

So far this year it's been 10 bucks that have been given a free pass. I hunt for horns with my bow and the first week of rifle. I can fill the freezer at the ned of the season with does.

Germ 11-01-2006 12:31 PM

11 is what I passed this year, 12th was a 16 point 176'' non-typical. I am meeting with my taxidemist tonite:D

John Deer 11-01-2006 12:33 PM

I've passed on at least 6 different bucks so far this year. They were all 1.5 or 2.5 year olds. I only shoot if I think it's a mature buck.

kenman 11-01-2006 12:35 PM

Normally none with the bow. This year I did let a spike walk, just because the light was fading, and I was catching a flight the following morning. When I got back from my trip, that spike showed up again and I took him.

GMMAT 11-01-2006 12:50 PM

It would seem not that many.....but I don't usually see a lot of bucks until the rut.

I passed on a small racked (and small DEER) 8-pointer earlier in the year....and a cowhorn the day I shot the 7-pointer. That's it.

I've seen 96 deer, this year......and had 58 in bow range.

jeff

outdoorslover 11-01-2006 01:03 PM

I won't pass on a nice buck unless I have to, because I'mfairly new to hunting. I won't shoot a spike or a fawn, though.That's my limitations. I don't pass on nice does either, but this muzzleloader season I'm gonna hold out for the buck, because I've already got a fat doe for the freezer. I had to pass on a sweet looking eight point while bowhunting a while ago because I only had a doe tag. He passed by at ten yards. It somehow makes you feel more like a hunter when that happens, though. Don't ask me why, but I didn't care all that much.

shed33 11-01-2006 01:21 PM

All immature bucks period these days. I'd rather eat tag soup and shoot a cow elk for the meat than kill a young buck in my areas...letem grow..