HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many bucks do you pass on? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/162809-how-many-bucks-do-you-pass.html)

TurkeyStalker 11-01-2006 12:15 PM

How many bucks do you pass on?

I have passed on 7 small, not tiny, but average bucks last year. I ate bucktag sandwhich last year also. Already this year I have passed on 9. I keep telling myself that I will be rewarded someday. The sooner the better. I saw a real brute on Mon, but he stayed about 60 yards out. I know if I put my time in it will come. So I am asking how many bucks you pass on. I always catch myself saying he needs another year or two.

Buck Huntin Girl 11-01-2006 12:20 PM

RE: How many bucks do you pass on?

I have bucks all over where I am at, literally about a 9 or 10:1 ratio, but I don't pass on any. I only get one buck a year, and if it is in range, whether it is a spike, fork, 8 or that monster 10 we have roaming around out there, I will shoot it. Same goes for a doe. I ain't passin' up any deer within range unless I can see a larger one coming in behind it.

Wall decorations are nice, and there is the thrill of the chase, but I am not out there to hunt trophies, I'm out there to fill my freezer. Headgear is just an added bonus.

rybohunter 11-01-2006 12:25 PM

Depends on the year. I have my set size I want to shoot, and over the last 4-5 years it's ranged between 3-9 bucks I've passed on before letting an arrow fly.

nohillbilly 11-01-2006 12:28 PM

So far this year it's been 10 bucks that have been given a free pass. I hunt for horns with my bow and the first week of rifle. I can fill the freezer at the ned of the season with does.

Germ 11-01-2006 12:31 PM

11 is what I passed this year, 12th was a 16 point 176'' non-typical. I am meeting with my taxidemist tonite:D

John Deer 11-01-2006 12:33 PM

I've passed on at least 6 different bucks so far this year. They were all 1.5 or 2.5 year olds. I only shoot if I think it's a mature buck.

kenman 11-01-2006 12:35 PM

Normally none with the bow. This year I did let a spike walk, just because the light was fading, and I was catching a flight the following morning. When I got back from my trip, that spike showed up again and I took him.

GMMAT 11-01-2006 12:50 PM

It would seem not that many.....but I don't usually see a lot of bucks until the rut.

I passed on a small racked (and small DEER) 8-pointer earlier in the year....and a cowhorn the day I shot the 7-pointer. That's it.

I've seen 96 deer, this year......and had 58 in bow range.

jeff

outdoorslover 11-01-2006 01:03 PM

I won't pass on a nice buck unless I have to, because I'mfairly new to hunting. I won't shoot a spike or a fawn, though.That's my limitations. I don't pass on nice does either, but this muzzleloader season I'm gonna hold out for the buck, because I've already got a fat doe for the freezer. I had to pass on a sweet looking eight point while bowhunting a while ago because I only had a doe tag. He passed by at ten yards. It somehow makes you feel more like a hunter when that happens, though. Don't ask me why, but I didn't care all that much.

shed33 11-01-2006 01:21 PM

All immature bucks period these days. I'd rather eat tag soup and shoot a cow elk for the meat than kill a young buck in my areas...letem grow..

NH306 11-01-2006 01:26 PM

I'm from NH we pass on nothing! If it's brown it's down! It might be the only thing you see all year![8D]

GR8atta2d 11-01-2006 01:31 PM

Last 2 years..1 too many :D

I was eating tag soup looking for a buck that may not even exist anymore :(

But hopefully that will change this year. so far i've passed on a so-so 8 ptand several non-shooters small fork-horns small 6..

RTA47 11-01-2006 01:32 PM

I have passed on about 5 so far this yr the biggest being a small basket rack 8. I know there are better bucks in the area i hunt and the rut is just now starting to heat up.
Last yrin the same area i past on 10+ Before thanksgiving Ended up taking two decent bucks backto back saturdays nov-12 and nov-19
Hoping for the best this yr.

Legacy357 11-01-2006 01:35 PM

i have pasted on 14 bucks so far and about 5 button bucks....only had one shooter buck in range and I only nipped him[:@]

WakeCow 11-01-2006 01:43 PM

I passed on 6 or 7 can't remember b4 I took my 9 pointer.

FOP23 11-01-2006 01:47 PM

I've passed on five bucks this season in PA, 2 eights, a six, and 2 fours not legal by PA standards. With the season winding down, I won't be passing on many more.

thenuge15 11-01-2006 02:05 PM

I haven't even gotten the chance to go out yet this year!!! I've been stuck at college. But when I do go out I probably won't be passing doing to limited hunting opurtunites. I may pass a little spike but even that i can't gurantee. I'm only 19 and i've shot 5 bucks in my life. I've told myself once I get to 10 i'll start passing the 1.5 yrs olds but I dunno we'll see. I've only had 1 montster in shooting range in the 5 years i've hunted and i blew it.

RackLuster 11-01-2006 02:36 PM

one or two a year. i see more then i actually 'let go'. i took a doe that was with a 5 pointer on friday. i hope i don't regret that one. gun season starts this weekend, from then on everything is tough w/ a bow.

cmscat50 11-01-2006 02:40 PM

I've passed on more than 15 bucks this year with a bow. 2 of them are 120-130" deer. The funny thing is I've been bow hunting for 6 years and have never killed a buck. I'm only interested in BIG bucks...and does. I'veseen at least one shooter each year and have never been able to close the deal.

RDHunter 11-01-2006 02:56 PM

I've been passing on alot of small bucks in my area , I have this eight point rule that I won't break.
Everytime I'm in my stand I see deer all the time , I 'm not shooting doe's this close to the rut becauseI want them to lure a big buck in range.
The small bucks all the time are spikes and four pointers , I saw one six pointer with a big body but short tines.
With gun season coming just weeks away I might have to break that eight point rule of mine and settle for what I can get.

JNTURK 11-01-2006 03:57 PM

question....when you guy's say pass do you mean that you had a good opportunity to take the deer and choice not to ... or you saw the deer and maybe with a grunt call or something that sort you could have made it happen, but otherwise he was out of range???

this year was first year i have "passed on a buck" we had 3 in the freezer for meat and i wanted something a little bit bigger, but most years we are lucky to get one or two deer between 4 of us hunting (my brother and i hunt very hard so really 2 hunters, but dad and cousin do go out and hunt)........our ratio is something in the range of 10-12 does per buck.....usually in most areas ( all public land for me) so there is no room for passing on a deer if i want some jerky or burgers later in the year...

gri22ly 11-01-2006 05:39 PM

Seen 16 bucks last year had the chance to take 6. Seen 6 bucks this year had the chance to take 2. If he want make P&Y I want shoot so I only kill a buck once every 2 or 3 years (only allowed one buck a year)but i kill 1 or 2 does every year for the freezer.

txjourneyman 11-01-2006 06:08 PM

I will probably pass on anything not 6 or better. I killed a spike this year for my first bow buck and have another tag. I would like to fill it with a bigger deer. If it gets late in the year the state of my freezer will play a larger role.

early in 11-01-2006 06:49 PM

I'm not big on passing bucks up but I'm always looking to get one bigger than my biggest. So far this season I've passed a fair 6pt but the rut is just ahead!;)

AntlerAddict07 11-01-2006 07:04 PM

ive passed 2 6's 1 being a decent one the other just a little basket a 3 pointer that walks down the same run 10 yards from my stand everytime im in my stand, a spike that bedded under my stand for 45 minutes, a nice 8 and a basket 8........since teh rut is kicking in im hoping to see the big 10 i saw on opening day 40 yards out...hes a monster so hopefully he will be chasin this weekend.

We have seen tons of bucks at our property but since hte season opened on Oct. 1st we have only seen 3 does so i hope more does move in on our property and run around.

130woodman 11-02-2006 08:01 PM

I have passed on 11 differant bucks this year & shot 1.I have pictures of 19 differant bucks since July so I have a good Idea what kind of deer are out there. It was just a waiting game and it does pay off.

sd_buckeye 11-03-2006 10:57 PM

I honestly can't count on how many bucks I've passed on. I could have shot four of the same ones off the top of my head three or more times this year. Two being a little 2x2 and the other a young basket4x4. But of the other two, one is a 3x5 with a forked g2 (similair to that ofa muley) but is too small (16"spread 6"tines), and the other a perfectly even 4x4 that would gross score roughly just over 100. I have seen 4 bucks in the 130 class or higher this year, but have not had any ethical shots presented to me. I am hunting a specific deer (I know... not a good idea to hunt just for one specific:) and he is at least Iwouldsay inthe140 class, He's beatiful, I've seen him twice.

Oh, and he'll beat my dad's first buck ever with a bow from last year... HA HA HA. yeah there's some rivalry. LOL... below is a pic of my dads deer from last year. (134 gross, I can't remember exactly)

TurkeyStalker 11-04-2006 03:05 AM

Thanks guysand gals, Knowing this makes me feel better.

BOWFANATIC 11-04-2006 06:28 AM

I passed on one too many this year.

tsoc 11-04-2006 06:52 AM

Of course every year is different,depending upon when and if I see a buck that meets my personal standards.I didn't kill a buck in the archery season last year,I saw 13 bucks and legitimately passed on on 7,one of them being an eight pointer.This year I only hunted six times before killing an eight pointer,I had seen 9 bucks in total and passed on 4.(my definition of passing is within my range and having presented itself either broadside or slightly quartering away.)

I would like to get to a point where if I wouldn't mount it I wont kill it.We are able to take 4 deer a year in NY so it is not a venison issue.

The Deer Destroyer 11-04-2006 08:43 AM

I pass on any buck that's worth letting his rack grow.

Hotburn76 11-04-2006 11:02 AM

Five years ago I passed on smaller bucks because I had seen a real nice ten pointer running around, but ate tag soup! Then never passed on a deer again, with the smallest I have is a six pointer. This year I have the bug again thanks to my cuddeback and have passed on a nice six point and a small eight. Hoping to see this guy.

muckland 11-04-2006 03:36 PM

About 10 so far this year.. heres one of um.......

HammytheHunter 11-04-2006 04:42 PM

I usually sit back and wait without taking every buck I see. I like to let the smaller ones that I think have good potential to walk-by so that we can hopefully meet the next year.

I let a nice 8 walk by tonight, but mainly because we have an agreement with the landowner to shoot a doe before taking any bucks. Usually though, I try and hold out for an 8-pointer or larger.

Bigwapitijohnny 11-04-2006 04:52 PM

I have passed on a small 8 this year. Last year, I passed on 2 6 points. The reason is that this land has BIG deer that travel to and fro on it. I to am hoping that one of the shooters walks under me if I put in my time...

Regards,

BWjohnny