Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why so darned expensive??  Help !! >

Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

I am not naive, or delusional, but I really would like to know what makes Archery targets so blamed expensive. I shoot to a large , 28 x 20 x 11 black hole layered target. Shooting in my back yard, I have often wished for a really big target to use as a back stop target.... so I dont have to chase down arrows if I make a bad shot.

I have looked all over to find something to use, but I cannot believe the prices. In the Lancester's catalogue I just got a few days ago, they have a Block target that would be perfect, but I cannot believe the price. This block 48 x 48 x18 super range target costs 600.00. WHY??? Is this what the market will bare?? Am I just out of touch or can someone tell me why targets of any size are this high????

Also, at that price, I have a feeling that I need to find something else to use. What do you guys use to back your targets. I could use your good ideas. Or is there another type of foam targets someone knows how to get their hand on that is reasonably priced.

Thanks guys

God Bless

Old 10-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

Please don't take this the wrong way. I went over this with my son, last night.

If you're worried about losing arrows......my guess is you need to get more proficient from shorter distances and work your way back S L O W L Y. I've only been shooting a year.....but I have missed my targets (I have a 3D deer.....a "block" and another layered target) MAYBE 3-4X.

I don't think of missing my target as an issue......and a Morrell yellow jacket (my "block") is $50.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 AM

SBGobblers,

I understand what youare saying, but that is not really the problem. I have been bow hunting for many years, but I try to cover all the bases. Right now I live in the city. The only way I can practice at a decent distance is shooting down the drive way, andthrough the back yard. With that being the case, I am shooting towards the neighbors home behind my home. I do not like that idea, and would perfer to have a big foam block , or something like that for added protection. It might never take an arrow, but I would rather have something there than accidentally send a broadheaded arrow into someones home. Lets just say I would feel better being overly cautious.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

For the money you'll save, just go buy 4 to 6 straw bales from Westlake's hardware and put yourself a nice wall behind your block target. You'd be surprised at the stopping capability of some tightly bound hay bales. Just a cheaper suggestion.

A more appropriate answer to your question? Targets are that expensive...especially with the size that you're after. Sorry!!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make your own. Go to Home Depot and get some of the foam insulation that is used on houses. Layer them on top of one another andput 2x4s top and bottom with all thread rod between to tighten them down and compress it. Same principal as the block type targets. If youu don't need on 4x8', just cut the sheets in 1/2 and have a 4x4 target. As the lasyer start to wear and it gets loose, just tighten up the all thread rod.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Michael.....

Just me....but I'd find a different place to shoot. I KNOW....every time I draw back my bow....when I'm practicing......that NO MATTER what......there's NO WAY I could hit another dwelling. I have the luxury of 24 wooded acres on each side of me, though.

I understand your plight, now.....and I appreciate you not taking my post in a bad manner. It wasn't meant to flame.

I'd SERIOUSLY have a sit down with myself and understand that you LIKELY don't have a viable place to practice where you live, though.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also shoot in the city which sucks but luckily I don't have to deal with this because the place I live is near commercial so there is a brick wall as a back stop. The reason the price is so high is because supply and demand. If all of us wanted targets that size then they would be cheaper but still slightly expensive because of shipping costs.

Get the bails of hay! Only down side is they kill your grass.

Tom
Old 10-26-2006, 09:15 AM

Find a safe place to practice!!! Shooting toward another house is scary!!! I had my release go funky on me earlier this year and an arrow went off into the air, into a wooded area, but I never would have expected that and if there was someone or something on the other side it would have been scary!!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hay bales work great. And they are also cheap

Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I second the idea of finding a safer place to practice. Like joining the local archery club if you've got one around your neck of the woods. Otherwise, get a few of those marine stryofoam floatation blocks, like they use at marinas. Lots cheaper than archery targets and they stop arrows very well, MUCH better and for a lot longer than hay bales do.

Quick Reply: Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.