Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why so darned expensive??  Help !! >

Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

i live in a residential area..but have 40yds of fenced in backyard i can safely shoot. i put my target in the corner. my neighbors have a big wooden fence and so do we so thats a double fence. right before that is a BIG apple tree. i made a 90degree corner with a big stack of hay bales 2x deep and 3 high. my target sits infront of that. leaning against the back of the apple tree i leaned up another extra fencing piece. even if i missed all that my arrow still wouldnt hurt anyone. just rather have it all there just incase.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I second the idea of finding a safer place to practice. Like joining the local archery club if you've got one around your neck of the woods. Otherwise, get a few of those marine stryofoam floatation blocks, like they use at marinas. Lots cheaper than archery targets and they stop arrows very well, MUCH better and for a lot longer than hay bales do.
Believe me guys, if I had a better place to shoot, I would be there in a heart beat. BUT, Arthur P. , I do like the idea of the marine foam. I know what you are referring to. I don't know where to get them, but I will try some net searches and such. Thanks for the idea. It is exactly the type ofidea I was looking for. If anyone knows where to get some, please let me know, or if you have any more ideas, then keep them coming.

Thanks guys

Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

Make your own. Go to Home Depot and get some of the foam insulation that is used on houses. Layer them on top of one another andput 2x4s top and bottom with all thread rod between to tighten them down and compress it. Same principal as the block type targets. If youu don't need on 4x8', just cut the sheets in 1/2 and have a 4x4 target. As the lasyer start to wear and it gets loose, just tighten up the all thread rod.
Now that's a good idea...
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just stuff a bunch of old clothes/curtains/towels/rags/blankets into a duffel bag or a feed sack.

I shoot 78# and I can't even come close to passing through it. Best yet, you can shoot your Muzzy practice heads right in there, anda childcan pull the arrows out with two fingers. They practically fall out of there.

Also, if you work in a manufacturing setting, you might be able to come up with a roll of shrink wrap. If you ball up a bunch of that stuff, and fill a bag or feed sack with that, it will also stop a freight train. The downside to the shrink wrap is that you can't even shoot practice broadheads into it, because it gets all bound up in the plastic. It'sawesome for field points, though.

If any of you think I'm lying or exaggerating, I dare you to try to prove me wrong. You don't need to go blowing your hard-earned money on an expensive bow target. Sure, they're nice, but when money is tight, you don't have to set yourself back when you can easily make a target for free out of junk you have laying around the house.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Yes, I like that Idea too, but I'll have to make a run to home depot and check out the prices of such a setup. Size wise it would be great, but I also am curious about the foam... density, and type of particle. I don't want to have foam chips or residue flying all over my, and the neighbors yards. They might get mad and come use my bow on me...lol... Gotta keep the neighbors happy. Thanks guys.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

I am not naive, or delusional, but I really would like to know what makes Archery targets so blamed expensive. I shoot to a large , 28 x 20 x 11 black hole layered target. Shooting in my back yard, I have often wished for a really big target to use as a back stop target.... so I dont have to chase down arrows if I make a bad shot.

I have looked all over to find something to use, but I cannot believe the prices. In the Lancester's catalogue I just got a few days ago, they have a Block target that would be perfect, but I cannot believe the price. This block 48 x 48 x18 super range target costs 600.00. WHY??? Is this what the market will bare?? Am I just out of touch or can someone tell me why targets of any size are this high????

Also, at that price, I have a feeling that I need to find something else to use. What do you guys use to back your targets. I could use your good ideas. Or is there another type of foam targets someone knows how to get their hand on that is reasonably priced.

Thanks guys

God Bless
If you had a bunch of foam sheets and a banding strapper you could make your own "Block" targets of any size the machine could band. They are real heavy targets and I know shipping plays into the high cost. As an alternate solution; Get a large piece of trampoline material and stretch it tightly between two posts behind your target. It'll stop any field point but I'm not sure on broadheads. Otherwise, just stay closer to the target.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Well if you do the straw bale way, Instead of hitting up the hardware store and spend like 6 bucks a bale. Just got to any farms that you may have around your area, and just go up to there house and see if they have an straw for sale.
More then likely they will or if they dont they will know who does.

AND if you get it from a farmer you will only spen about 3 bucks for straw.

So check that out, the straw bales will deffently stop your arrows.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ray Hunter 42

Well if you do the straw bale way, Instead of hitting up the hardware store and spend like 6 bucks a bale. Just got to any farms that you may have around your area, and just go up to there house and see if they have an straw for sale.
More then likely they will or if they dont they will know who does.

AND if you get it from a farmer you will only spen about 3 bucks for straw.

So check that out, the straw bales will deffently stop your arrows.
And you might just find some new hunting land!

Tom
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in the city with a wetland behind my house (and a park behind that) and I don't dare shoot back there. Never have (well, i did when it was just a big corn field).

As far as your question goes. I have no idea either why that target costs so much. that huge block is the only really big one on the market that i know of. they need some competition for one thing.

the local outdoor range has 2straw bales stacked on top of each other. a piece of wood on top and one on bottom and then giant lag bolts (maybe not lag bolts, but you get the picture) that are bolted down putting extra pressure on the straw. so, you can just keep tightening up as needed. they are awesome!!!! If i lived in the country i would TOTALLY build one like that. couldn't cost more then $40
Old 10-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey/straw bails,or hang a couple big 1/2 inch thick rubber mats together that would work if you could find some, or a bunch of small ones linked together... also think about trajectory, i live in city and shoot from my roof...dont have to worry about a miss then.

Quick Reply: Why so darned expensive?? Help !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.