Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot Placement

Old 10-25-2006, 06:36 AM

Default Shot Placement

When shooting from a 15ft treestand would you aim your pin slightly higher or lower on a deer to hit a vital?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shot Placement

Aim where you want the arrow to come out of the deer.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, WELCOME!!! We're glad to have you here.

Usually, the deer will look a littlefarther than what they really are. I normally aim a little lower. Some guys I know aim for the heart, that way if the deer jumps the string they still hit the lungs.

Have you gotten a deer yet?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

gotta aim low when they're right underneath you. You wan that arrow to exit behind the opposite shoulder most of the time, but from an extreme angle you want to be putting your arrow through both lungs in any way possible.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

i like to shoot a deer lower rather than higher because if you shoot high it takes much longer for the blood to fill up in the body and start to make a trail compared to if you have a low exit hole
Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 PM

Aim for the exit hole.

Also; remember to bend at the wasit. Don't just drop your arm, bend your entire upper body. If you were to straighten up after aiming down, your bow arm should be paralell to the ground.

For the more visual learners;

Old 10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

I was just reading about this in Outdoors Life magazine and they say to aim low uphill or down hill i am sure it works the same way out of a stand.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me the best thing to do is just get up in the stand and practice from it.There is no better wayto make a good clean and ethical shot on an animal other than practicing for it.Good shot placement comes from proper practice and lots of it.
If your planning on hunting from a tree stand?Practice from a tree stand and the same go`s for any other type hunting.
There has been some good advise from some of the others but the truth is lots of hunters can tell you where and how to aim but only you are going to be in your stand when its crunch time and only you are going to bethe one to draw the strings on your bow and try to make the shot.(imo) Practice for it before you head off into the woods.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

manlaw..get a good rangefinder..one that shows true distance with angles....or a good pendulum sight..this will take out the guess work
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

manlaw..get a good rangefinder..one that shows true distance with angles....or a good pendulum sight..this will take out the guess work
gimick, it's never more than 2 yards at extreme heights and it's usually less than 1 yard at 20' and 20 yards.