Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting vs. Gunhunting >

Bowhunting vs. Gunhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting vs. Gunhunting

Old 10-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting vs. Gunhunting

I asked this in the Deer hunting forum as well but figured i would get more input here. I am writing a paper for school on why bowhunting is better than gunhunting for such things as bowhunting takes more skill, longer seasons, less pressure, etc and could use some more input.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting vs. Gunhunting

Bowhunting is a sport to me where as gun hunting is an event. I haven't taken a gun after deer in many years. I'm Not bashing gun hunters at all and consider them fellow hunters.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't necessarily say that bow hunting is better than gun hunting, they're just different. Since you are stating that bow is better than gun, make your paper argumentative and possibly use statistics.

One thing archery does require, for the most part, is close quarters with your quarry. For me, it's a bigger "rush" to have a deer 20 yards away vs. 200 yards away.

As far as gun hunting, just between you, me and the lamp post, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a rifle.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not bashing any way people hunt.

I think the main difference is intimacy of the land and deer.

I just got back from hunting 640 acres of private land. My friend family has own for 70+ years. They all gun hunt, when I got there I ask several questions that puzzled them.

Where are the oak ridges and are acorns dropping?
Where do the deer bed?
Have you seen any scrapes rubs?
How do the deer move on weather like today?
Does the wind swirl in certain sections?

I ask several more, and none had an answer. In Northern MI you can use a rifle, they are concerned with what ridge the deer are on and moving. That is it; they are very successful gun hunters. They do not know the land like I know mine, because I bowhunt, and they gun hunt.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 PM

Bow hunting has the Legacy. It is an original way to put food on the table, only predated by throwing a spear or chunking a rock. It has been around much longer than the modern gun, and the encounters have to be much more up close and personal. Way back when, the animal being hunted had to be close enough that it actually made the game more dangerous, because being that close gave it a chance to fight back. The bows were hand hewn from sticks, the strings were gut, the arrows were hardly straight ( never pass a spin test ) , and the Broadheads were flint or rock. Early man used his ability to think to put it all together , to make the first bow so he could have a way to get out of the cave on the weekend. Thus began a tradition.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should change the name of your paper. To something more specific. I don't think you can justify bow hunting being "better". It takes more skill in many cases, but I wouldn't use the term "better".

I hunt with a bow, shotgun and rifle. The areas that I hunt have made me always pay close attention to smell and travel routes, beds, food and etc.no matter which weapon I carry. So for me, it isn't all that different other than not being able to take an animal that presents its self further away. The argument that I would present to you, if I were reviewing your paper is - why is bow hunting "better" if you're more likely to be unsuccessful (and in many cases that is true) and the animal is usually put down faster with a firearm, which results in less lost deer, less tracking and it is a little more quick and painless for the animal. I haven't shot a lot of deer with a bow, but there have been a few. None of them have died right where they got hit. When I hunt with a gun, that is normally the case.
Maybe you could name your paper simply "the difference between bow and gun hunting"? That way you could be educate people on both forms and be accurate at the same time. Let them draw their own conclusion.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:47 PM

I think bow hunters and gun hunters should always protect one another the the fullest extent,
We dont need to give one up to the the antis at all. If we do INHO it will just turn on us in the end, When I say give one up I mean dont give them any fuel to jump on either one of the sports or events ever what you want to call it. Its like this they will never be happy with someone enjoying anything that they dont like so if we dont have gun hunting then they will be picking on bowhunters.
Maybe I got off subject a little but I dont like to see gun hunting VS bowhunting.
sorry if i did.
squirreldog
Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I think you should change the name of your paper. To something more specific. I don't think you can justify bow hunting being "better". It takes more skill in many cases, but I wouldn't use the term "better".

I hunt with a bow, shotgun and rifle. The areas that I hunt have made me always pay close attention to smell and travel routes, beds, food and etc.no matter which weapon I carry. So for me, it isn't all that different other than not being able to take an animal that presents its self further away. The argument that I would present to you, if I were reviewing your paper is - why is bow hunting "better" if you're more likely to be unsuccessful (and in many cases that is true) and the animal is usually put down faster with a firearm, which results in less lost deer, less tracking and it is a little more quick and painless for the animal. I haven't shot a lot of deer with a bow, but there have been a few. None of them have died right where they got hit. When I hunt with a gun, that is normally the case.
Maybe you could name your paper simply "the difference between bow and gun hunting"? That way you could be educate people on both forms and be accurate at the same time. Let them draw their own conclusion.

Well said...couldn't of said it better